Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Kansas History: Native Americans in Kansas

Kansas History students,
Thank you for all your hard work preparing your report about our capital city, Topeka. I enjoyed reading them. You'll get yours back with feedback on October 9, our next class time.

Did you know that I am from Topeka? I was born there and lived there until I was fourteen years old. One of my favorite places to go as a kid was to the Capitol building with my grandparents. Remember that my great-grandpa moved to Topeka in the 1880s so when I was growing up in the 1980s my dad owned the feed stores that my great-grandpa opened way back in the 1880s. Some of you wrote about the F5 tornado that hit Topeka in 1966. That was before I was born, but my dad remembers it very well!

We will be taking a field trip to Topeka in January or February and you will get to see the Capitol building in person then.

In the next two weeks begin working on your Native American reports. This time, instead of answering questions you will organize your thoughts into three paragraphs. Remember to use either the clustering diagram worksheet or the outline worksheet to assist you in planning out your work. In the planning stage just write down KEYWORDS, not complete sentences. After your plan is in place, all you have to do is write complete sentences for each point, and put the sentences in order on the page!

Good writing takes a lot of practice. Be patient and remember that you are training your mind as you go--it is never a waste of time!

I've added some Native American links which might help. Some of these sites will be helpful, some are not very helpful. Glance through them all and skip over what isn't useful. I especially like the Osage Indians website.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...