Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Friday, April 25, 2008

Preparing for Summer


Are you working on your summer schedule? Marking your calendar with VBS dates, day camp dates, swimming lessons, sports teams, and vacations? Planning to keep plugging away at math drills? Signing up for the library's summer reading plan?

How are you prepared to get through the summer spiritually?

We have several things we do to keep us in the Word of God throughout the school year. Mr. Edwards and I both do Bible Study Fellowship (BSF), which is a tremendous Bible study that gives accountability and daily time in the Word. We have come to rely on BSF to help keep us faithful in our individual walk with Jesus. This past year, our second graders also did BSF with us. We give glory to God because we have seen Him transform our daughters through this past year, largely through the BSF study.

For Christian parents, the primary aim of imparting an education to our kids is so that they may be equipped to study the Word of God for themselves. We have been in awe this past year as we watched our daughters mature in their reading until they were able to work through their BSF lesson mostly on their own. It is so exciting to see them gradually growing into a daily habit of individual study of the Bible.

But what about this summer? We won't have BSF to keep us accountable.

For me, this will be my second summer since I developed a faithful early-morning devotional habit. I use the Victory Bible Reading Plan throughout the year and finally my morning routine is settled enough that summer break doesn't change it.

I'm looking ahead to the summer, however, and wondering about my kids. Our school year evenings are busy with BSF and AWANA, so our family devotion habit at bedtime fell by the wayside this year. We plan to restore that evening habit. For this, we like to combine some catechism practice with Bible stories. With our two year old developing better listening skills, this will be an important training time for him.

I ordered a kids devotional book by John MacArthur, called A Faith to Grow On to help fill the BSF gap for our daughters' personal Bible study. One thing that I hope will help us stay faithful in the summer is a change in our school schedule that I made after spring break. Before spring break, our BSF lesson time was the first item on our school agenda. When I re-worked our school schedule at spring break, I moved the kids' BSF time out of the school schedule and told them they needed to do it first thing in the morning.

This worked for us, since usually they wander out in the living room in the morning and find me still finishing up my own quiet time with the Lord. To protect my prayer and worship, and to help them imitate the practice, I decided they should use those moments working on their BSF. Now I'm seeing how God used that change (which I made to help our school day, actually) to teach the girls that their personal time with God isn't a school subject--it is a life habit.

God is so good.
Here is our memory verse for the week:
Matthew 26:41
Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Hello Mrs Edwards,
I found your blog through a comment you made on Trivium Academy's blog. I go to BSF classes in Perth, in Australia! I go to a Day women's class and three of my four kids (5,4,2yo) take part in the pre-school children's program. I agree with you, it is a huge blessing both for training me in diligent bible study and (because for a while I was a children's supervisor, before I had #4, now 1yo) in teaching little ones from the Bible. As I am in the southern hemisphere, we are only up to lesson 7 in Matthew, and just got back from our first term break yesterday... it's good to be back. I have really learnt a lot from BSF about making connections between parts of the bible which allow you to understand the core reading better. BSF has been a driving force in me planning to take my kids through studying the biblical narrative once a year as part of our homeschooling. I am so excited to "meet" another blogger who has integrated BSf into homeschooling. I think as my kids get older they might end up going to evening BSF but at the moment pre-school CP is working well.
~ Sharon at Equip Academy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...