Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Movies

I consider myself somewhat new to the blogging scene and only last week figured out what was meant by "meme" and "tagging" someone. And now it has happened to me.

In honor of my Aussie blogging kindred spirit, Sharon at Equip Academy, here's my movie meme response:

1. One movie that made you laugh
Big Business. It is silly and ridiculous but has some fun lines: "You know, it's one of them surveys!" My husband doesn't appreciate the humor of this one, so I haven't seen it in years. Who knows, maybe I wouldn't even like it these days. I'm sure I couldn't show it to my kids anytime soon.

2. One movie that made you cry
Anne of Green Gables. Just the other day my girls watched this movie. It seems like every time I see Gilbert gently brush Anne's hair away from her cheek and tenderly call her "Carrots" my eyes well up with tears and my throat tightens. I read these books over and over as a kid and love the first movie (being a literature loyalist, I never could accept the significant plot changes they made in the sequels).


3. One movie you loved when you were a child
Star Wars. My dad taped it when it was on t.v. back when VCR remote controls had long cables attached to the box. He "paused" out most of the commercials, but didn't get it turned back on in time after one commercial break. So, for most of my life I had no idea how Luke met Hans Solo. "Where'd this scene come from?" was pretty much my reaction when I finally saw a full version.

4. One movie you've seen more than once
The Sound of Music and White Christmas, for starters.

5. One movie you loved, but were embarrassed to admit it
When Harry Met Sally. I wasn't embarrassed to admit it ten years ago, but I've grown up quite a bit since then and was too embarrassed to answer this for #4, above. So here it is.

6. One movie you hated
The Piano. I saw it with a friend in college. We should have walked out, but were probably too young and embarrassed to do something that sensible. It was shocking for me and horrible.

7. One movie that scared you
The Raiders of the Lost Ark. I saw this at a tender age and was not ready for it. Now I razz my dad about taking me. Mom was gone for the weekend and dad figured it would be a fun outing. I was terrified. Now, of course, it is hilarious.

8. One movie that bored you
Citizen Kane. Isn't this supposedly a great classic? I didn't get it. I usually love classic films, but not this one.

9. One movie that made you happy
The Man From Snowy River "...And I'll be back for whatever else is mine." Mr. Edwards gave me this DVD recently. I'm a hopeless romantic and love happy, wholesome endings. This one fits the bill.

10. One movie that made you miserable
I guess I steer clear of miserable movies, since I'm drawing a blank here.

11. One movie you weren't brave enough to see
The Passion of the Christ. Mr. Edwards and I plan to watch it soon, since we completed the study of Matthew recently in BSF. When this movie was released I was pregnant and knew it would be difficult to see. I think now I am ready to handle it, especially if we watch the DVD at home and have the pause button handy.

12. One movie character you've fallen in love with
I'm in love with Mr. Darcy, but mostly because of the book, rather than the movie. The latest version (2005) is undeniably great (the DVD is on my shelf), but the BBC mini-series is definitely worth the time. After you read the book, of course. Since I am so proud to be "Mrs. Edwards" I especially love this exchange at the end of the 2005 film:

Elizabeth Bennet: No, you may only call me "Mrs. Darcy" when you are completely, perfectly and incandescently happy.
Mr. Darcy: And how are you this evening... Mrs. Darcy? Mrs. Darcy... Mrs. Darcy... Mrs. Darcy!


13. The last movie you saw
We've caught on to Mid-Somer Murders, which is actually a British television series, but the episodes are feature-length. They are available from Netflix.


14. The next movie you hope to see
Prince Caspian We hoped to take our daughters, but with my experience (see #7 above) and after reading reviews, I think we will wait for the DVD (and handy fast forward button for when our kids holler, "Skip it!!").

I'm embarrassed how long it took me to create this post. Yikes. I think Mr. Edwards is wondering when I'm going to close the MacBook and return to reality!

Thanks for the fun movie memories, Sharon! Renita: feel like weighing in? Consider yourself tagged!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I felt the same about The Piano. I saw it with my mum and we both walked out at the end wishing we had never walked in. It was just sad and horrible and odd. I never get those kind of stories which just seem to get the label "classic" because they're basically inscrutable.

Thanks for following on.

~ Sharon from Equip Academy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...