Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Off-Label Imaginations


Yesterday our Monopoly game was strewn all across the living room floor. Lane was lining up all the Community Chest cards next to a long row of the Chance! cards. He was reading each card, as best as he could, and asking me about the little guy on the card. "Mom, why is he carrying the ship? Look! This is the ship!" and he thrust the card in my face to be sure that I didn't miss his point.

We played Monopoly together the other day and Lane did a great job of following the rules with me for about 30 minutes. Then, he grew tired of the game and his sisters took over our places. But Lane came back with the chess men. In an instant he was lining up chess men across the Monopoly board for some sort of war.

Today the chess men have joined his army men in a grand battle of good against evil.

Our kids have the most fun playing with games, toys, and household objects in ways they were never intended.

The vacuum extension tube? Spyglass one day, trumpet the next.
Wire stackable bins for the closet? Outfitted with a small pillow and blankets and in use as a doll sofa.
Tongue depressors from the craft drawer? Taped into small cross and used as swords or knives.
Brand-new swimming goggles? Goggles for keeping the dust out as my son speeds across the African plain catching rhinos (riding in a truck that turned upside-right is actually our school desk chair).
Frisbees? Filled with grass clippings and serving as dinner plates for my daughters as they camp on their way West.
Family room couch? The Millennium Falcon one day, ocean-going vessel the next.

What have your kids dreamed up out of everyday objects?

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Hi Mrs Edwards,

I was totally inspired by this post of yours, it really made me think about the inventiveness of my own children. So I've done my own post on the topic: http://equipacademy.blogspot.com/2008/06/isnt-imagination-great.html. (I linked to you in recognition, I hope you don't mind.) Thanks for making me glad again that I am a mum.

~ Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...