Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Pneumonia

Streptococcus pneumoniae (CDC/Wikipedia)


Last Tuesday evening, after BSF, my husband told me he felt strange.
"Strange how?"
"I don't know exactly. Sick."

He took some aspirin and went to bed. I woke up in the night because Tobias called me and before I got to sleep again I heard Mr. Edwards humming. He never hums. My first reaction was to shake him out of the dream and tell him to go back to sleep. Except that he wasn't dreaming and he wasn't sleeping. He was not well and not himself at all. This was about 2:20 a.m. By three o'clock I was riding in the ambulance's passenger seat and Mr. Edwards was receiving oxygen and an i.v. in the back.

It took about four hours to get through the E.R. process of labs and x-rays to learn that he had pneumonia. Presumably (I don't know what they cultured) something like the strep bacteria pictured here had taken up residence in both of his lungs. After a day and a half in the hospital receiving oxygen and antibiotics, he was released.

I'm grateful for microbiology and antibiotics. It was only about 150 years ago that people thought Louis Pasteur was out of his mind to believe that something too small to see could cause people to be so gravely ill. Who knew that a few weeks after Edwards Academy students Hope and Sydney wrote about germ theory they would see their father proving the value of scientific research!

The antibiotics are working and Mr. Edwards is on the mend, although he is completely wiped out and exhausted. We are still puzzled about where or how he caught pneumonia.

Model of Herod's Temple (Wikipedia)

For a few hours Wednesday morning, I had no idea what the outcome of this would be. In some ways, a middle-of-the-night ambulance call is something that I have a particular fear of. I was surprised how calm I felt throughout the experience.

After BSF Tuesday night, my husband and I talked about the lecture he heard and what I heard Monday night. We discussed together some of the things that struck us from the week's Bible study and the BSF discussion time. That evening we talked about the veil in the Temple tearing from top to bottom at the time of the crucifixion. The veil separating the Holy of Holies from the Holy Place was as thick as a man's hand. When God tore that veil, He opened His throne room to all who come in the Name of Jesus.

It was a signal to all that the old covenant was replaced with the new covenant: Jesus Christ.

When Mr. Edwards and I talked about what God did for us that day, we both shook our heads in amazement. Studying Matthew through BSF brought us back to the crucifixion and God opened our eyes to appreciate again the grace and mercy of our Savior.

My dad, bleary-eyed at 3:30 a.m. brought me coffee to the E.R. and my Bible. In the hours of waiting I worked on my BSF lesson and read about the Resurrection. Holding my husband's hand and sitting next to him reading about the empty tomb, I felt courage and calmness.

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Mrs Edwards,

It must be hard for you to keep up with everything with your husband sick. I will pray for you each time the Holy Spirit brings you to mind.

I see one of your children is called Hope. This is the middle name we selected for our fourth child, our second boy. We were inspired by the verses from Titus 2:13-14. Maybe these verses can be an encouragement for your child also.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my series on boys and girls. I am appreciating your feedback as I write. This afternoon (and probably evening, when I get back from my weekly late night shopping) I will be writing with some advice for the practicalities of mothering with the purposes of God in mind. I hope what I write can be of help to you!

~ Sharon at Equip Academy

Mrs. Edwards said...

Thanks, Sharon.
It is fun to meet fellow believers and kindred spirits through blogging.
Blessings to you.

momma24 said...

I am so glad this worked out well. We were praying.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...