Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Keep Your Eyes on Your Own Paper!

Edwards Academy students reading Black Beauty. "We won't be doing your reading for you."


Like most bloggers, I use a free tracking service to keep an eye on blog traffic. This blog has very few readers (if you are reading this, you are among the elite!), but I'm not really aiming for high traffic.

I have a few friends who read pretty regularly, family members who check on us this way, and other hits that come to the blog through Google searches. Yesterday one of these searchers came to my blog after searching "Owls in the Family gave away Weeps." After this search they came upon my daughters' book reviews of Owls in the Family (posted a few months ago).

They are not the first to do so. Since the book reviews were posted, about a dozen searchers have come to this blog because of an Owls in the Family search. One time it was a Canadian searching for "Who is Billy's friend in Owls in the Family" and it was then that it hit me: these are probably kids working on a school assignment. (Owls in the Family is probably better known in Canada since that is its setting and home of its author.)

I've heard all about kids who would rather Google for answers than actually read what is assigned to them, or would rather waste time Googling for essays to copy rather than actually write one. It irritates me that my blog is assisting them (perhaps).

I want to inspire you to discover literature first-hand, not give you short cuts so that you miss out on the true pleasure.

So, if you hit on this post because you Googled, "Billy's dog in Owls in the Family" or "Where did Billy find Wol" or "Where did Billy live in Owls in the Family", I hope you will consider that reading the chapter in the book is much more fun than reading this posting. But then, you probably quit reading this after the first sentence.

2 comments:

twyska said...

Hi Hope and Sydney,

I hope you like Black Beauty,
because I'm reading it too.
I'm on chapter three.
What chapter are you on?


-Joanna

Mrs. Edwards said...

Joanna,
I'm starting chapter 44. Are you enjoying Black Beauty? I am. I also did a horse lapbook.
-Sydney

Joanna,
I finished the book the other day. My favorite master for Black Beauty is the first one. It is a good book. I think you'll like it.
-Hope

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...