Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fishing With Grandpa

By Hope Edwards (age 8), as told to Mrs. Edwards


I went on a fishing trip with my Grandpa Edwards. First, we drove to McDonald’s for lunch. Then, after lunch, we finished the rest of our trip to the state fishing lake. Grandpa drove the Club Wagon van and towed the metal fishing boat. The van is old and has a lot of miles on it. In fact, my dad went on trips in the van when he was a kid. I helped Grandpa launch the boat in the water. After we launched the boat, we got the lawn chairs out and sat down to rest. After a while we went fishing.

We found a shady spot where we went fishing, but we didn’t catch any fish there. I saw a box that was floating inside a yellow floating ring. The box had fish painted on it. I asked Grandpa what it was. He told me, “That’s a fish feeder. It goes off throughout the day and throws pellets to feed the fish.”

So, we drove the boat over by our campsite where my cousin Isaac and Grandpa caught blue gill last week when they went fishing. (Grandpa only takes one grandchild fishing each week.) We didn’t catch any fish until evening when I caught three fish, one by one.

For dinner, we had hot dogs, so we got the camp stove out to cook them. We put the stove on a board that Grandpa stores under the mattress. We put the board over the boat trailer. We had potato chips and French fries (I had some left over from lunch). I drank root beer and Grandpa had either water or Coke. We sat in the lawn chairs and ate off plastic plates. While we were eating we talked about when Grandpa took the Edwards cousins fishing. I cleared the plates and then we went fishing.



Grandpa had a fishing pole for me to use while we were there. Grandpa put the worms on the hook. (I was fishing with a bobber.) He taught me how to cast and told me to jerk the line when the bobber went under the water. I waited for a fish to bite. But, I didn’t catch any until after dinner. I saw the bobber go under and I thought it would be too late so I was reeling in as fast as I could. The first fish I caught was the biggest. It flapped the water with its tail. I pulled it up out of the water and Grandpa was sitting on the other side of me and I guided it slowly over to him, so I wouldn’t hook him. He took the hook out of its mouth and said, “You hooked him good!” I didn’t say anything; I was too excited.

Grandpa put the fish on the stringer. There is a thing that is sharp at the end of a rope that Grandpa stuck through the gills, like you’re sewing it up through the gills and out the mouth, then he strung it down to the end of the string, where there is a key ring. He stuck the sharp thing through it, tying a knot around the fish. Then he swung it over the side of the boat and looped it onto the side so the fish could still be living in the water but couldn’t get away. He did the same thing with the other two fish that I caught. They were too small to keep, so Grandpa took a picture of me with the fish and then we let them go.



In the evening we walked up the hill to call Grandma and Mommy. I looked for fossil rocks in the ditch along the gravel road. We tried to call Grandma Edwards but it didn’t go through. Then Grandpa dialed my number so that I could talk to my mom. She answered but then the cell phone cut off. Then we walked back down the hill and when we got to the campsite, Grandma called us just as Grandpa was taking his blood sugar. We talked to her and then, since we seemed to get a better signal in our campsite, we called my mom.



It was hot! Grandpa has a mattress over a wooden board fitted into the back of the van. I put my sleeping bag next to Grandpa’s and my pillow. I went to bed about nine o’clock. It was dark and we could see the fireflies.

The next morning was cooler so Grandpa told me to keep the doors open so the van would cool off. We had a breakfast of Frosted Cheerios for me and Honey Nut Cheerios for Grandpa. We had ruby red grapefruit juice that has no sugar in it.


We went fishing. Grandpa caught a blue gill and I caught a blue gill. Then we went back to camp for a drink and I wanted to take a picture of the bed. I set the camera under the bed on the stove (which was covered with a carpet) in order to make the bed. Grandpa pulled the camera off the stove but it fell on the ground. The button that you press to take the picture popped off and was lost in the grass. We hunted and hunted for it, but we couldn’t find it. After looking for a while we decided to go for a boat ride and then take the boat out of the water.

On the boat ride I saw the fish feeder again. You aren’t supposed to go fast on the lake, because it is a fishing lake, but Grandpa thought it wouldn’t hurt to go a little fast. We did. I helped Grandpa take the boat out of the water, which takes a lot of wading, and then we loaded the boat on the trailer. It was time to go home.

We stopped at the same McDonald’s for lunch on the way home. We parked in the same parking spot and I ordered the same thing as the day before. Grandpa did too. We went to Grandpa’s house and switched cars. I saw Grandma and showed her the pictures in the camera. She said, “Wow!” On the way to my house, we stopped at Aunt Annette’s house to return Isaac’s life jacket. Grandpa showed me fossil rocks that my cousins Zachary, Holly and Isaac had found. He told me to ring the bell to see if they were home. They weren’t. As we got into the car to go to my house, we saw three kids and a lady walking and Grandpa said, “That must be Aunt Annette with Isaac.” As she walked up Aunt Annette said, “Did you take Hope fishing?”

“Yes,” he said, “We had a good time.” He told her that I wanted to drop off Isaac’s life jacket. She was surprised to see that I was still in the car.

“Was it hot?” she asked us.

“It was really hot,” we both answered.

She said that my cousin Leon was at basketball camp and my cousins Zachary and Holly were at camp in Arkansas. “It’s hot there too, there’s no air conditioning.”

I liked fishing with Grandpa because I caught four fish and I was glad Grandpa caught one. It was also nice to spend time with my Grandpa.

Mrs. Edwards' note: It was nearly 100 degrees, but Grandpa Edwards reported that Hope didn't complain. She also owned up to drinking six cans of root beer! Thanks, Grandpa Edwards, for teaching Hope to fish and spending time with her. She loved being with you.

1 comment:

Laura said...

What a precious memory, recorded in the very words of your Hope! I'm traveling through my memories after reading this and remembering very special fishing trips with my grandparents. Of course, that was many, many years ago.

Blessings!
Laura

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...