Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Summer Sanity, Part II

Lane carries out his kitchen zone duties, and Tobias does his best to take over the job.

After nearly five weeks since posting about our summer schedule, it is time to give an update.

We adhered closely to our schedule for about a week. But after a week of VBS we never went back to the full schedule. However, I don't believe it was a total loss. In fact, it served me pretty well actually. It gave me a structured beginning to the summer and helped us settle into our actual summer routine.

We aren't keeping up on our math and art goals, but we are keeping up on the girls' devotions, daily reading time, and read alouds. I like the zone assignments for chores. We try to apply ourselves to housework right after breakfast, and again after lunch, but I'm willing to cut it short if we have other things to do.

We play outside most mornings, to take advantage of the cooler weather. I'm willing to cut short chores to maximize outside time, knowing that we retreat inside after lunch. Because Tobias (2 years old) requires my supervision outside, I need to sit outside and watch. I'm usually sitting there in the shade with my laptop working on my writing job* while I watch the kids play. I'm working on a July 25 deadline of sorts, so I admit that our summer schedule has flexed to accommodate me.

Although it is just July 8, we have the end of summertime in our sights. Our calendar shows three weeks before our family camp vacation, then after a week of family camp we return home and settle in for school.

Although I could be discouraged that I didn't live up to my ideals, I don't feel that way at all. I suppose every coach starts with a game plan that is adjusted multiple times throughout the game. Every strategy awaits fine-tuning after being field-tested, and that is what we did with our summer schedule.

*I have a job ghostwriting a memoir.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...