Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lane Goes Fishing with Grandpa

By Lane Edwards (just before his sixth birthday) as told to Mrs. Edwards

It was a beautiful day when Grandpa and I went to the lake for a fishing trip. He came in his bronze Blazer to pick me up at 11:00 in the morning on Tuesday [August 12]. He was towing a silver fishing boat.



I got in the Blazer and sat on my booster seat next to the fishing poles. We buckled our seat belts and drove to Augusta where we had lunch at McDonald’s. After we had lunch, we got in the Blazer and buckled our seat belts. Then we drove to Butler County Fishing Lake.

We got the boat ready by taking off a metal bar from the motor and we unlatched it from the trailer in the back of the boat. Grandpa closed the drain plug. We loaded the boat with our fishing poles and bait buckets and backed the boat into the water. I sat in the front seat of the Blazer when we were backing it into the water. After Grandpa parked the Blazer, we climbed into the fishing boat and motored off. Grandpa’s boat has an outboard motor and a tiller for steering.

We went to the first place over on the west side of the lake, While we were on the west side, Grandpa taught me how to fish, but we didn’t catch any fish there.

So we moved to the south side of the lake. We didn’t catch any fish there. But we moved to the north side of the lake and didn’t catch any fish there. Then we moved back to the south side of the lake. I cast my rod into a shady place. Grandpa said, “That might be a good place for a fish.” So I waited and watched the bobber. I saw that my bobber was under the water. I felt the tug of a fish! I jerked the rod and reeled my fishing line in. I had a fish! It dangled from my string and I was reeling it in. We took it off the hook. My worm was gone. We put the fish on a string. It was a blue gill. Then we fished a little bit more. Grandpa caught a fish. I saw his bobber under the water. “Grandpa,” I said, “You got a fish!” He jerked it, he reeled it in and he put it on the same string that mine was on. It was a blue gill. Then we fished a little bit more.


Grandpa was getting hungry and so we went back for a snack in the Blazer. Then we went back to the south side of the lake, where we caught the fish before, but there were some people fishing there. So we went to a different place on the east side of the lake. On the shore there were two dry spots where there was gravel and there was a tree that stands by some rocks. I got my hook snagged on the tree. Grandpa wanted to push the boat closer to the shore with the pushing pole, but it was too deep to touch the bottom. Grandpa could not see my bobber, so then I had my pole and I lifted my pole and the line went up. Grandpa said, “Now I see it! Give the pole to me.” I gave him my fishing pole and he jerked it but it did not work. So we started reeling the line and the boat came closer to shore. Then we jerked it and it came loose. We fished some more on the east side, in that very same spot, but we did not catch anything. Then it was six o’clock. We motored the boat back to the Blazer and we drank pop. I drank root beer and Grandpa drank Diet Coke. We loaded the boat onto the trailer and pulled it out of the water. Then we unloaded our bait and fishing poles out of the boat and put them in the Blazer. Then we drove off.


“A few miles,” Grandpa said, “to Augusta and we’ll eat at McDonald’s there and eat dinner.” I didn’t think we were going to get home by sunset so I went on thinking that we were going to get there by the middle of the night, but we got there in time. It was sunset. The sun was halfway down. I went inside, got my pajamas on, and went to bed.

Editor's note: Thanks again, Grandpa Edwards, for taking Lane fishing for the afternoon and evening! 


4 comments:

Sharon said...

I loved this story, Mrs Edwards. Your children had such a wonderful time with their grandfather, didn't they? It is lovely also to see the differences in the details which they have remembered about what would have been, I assume, similar trips.

I have a question, though. I know this will sound completely dumb, but what is "root beer"? Is it like what we call "ginger beer" here in Australia? (A soft drink - er, soda - brewed, but not alcoholic - from the root of ginger.) I can hypothesise that they are one and the same but I'm just not sure.

It sounds like you will be very busy with your TOG studies, and they'll be lots of fun, I'm sure. I hope everything continues to go well!

~ Sharon from Equip Academy

Mrs. Edwards said...

Hi Sharon!
Just the other day, as we were watching an episode of "Foyle's War," my husband and I had occasion to turn to each other and ask, "What's ginger beer? Is that like root beer?"

I assumed it was similar--both soft drinks--so it's funny that you mention this. Your question led to a fun conversation about root beer, sarsparilla, and ginger beer at Lane's birthday party Friday night.

A little conversation and internet research revealed that ginger beer, which as you no doubt know, was originally an English drink, is made from, naturally, ginger, sugar, and soda. Root beer is a soft drink flavored with the bark of sassafras--at least in its earliest days. It turns out sassafras, a plant that is now deemed a carcinigen, is banned by the US. Food and Drug Administration! Sarsparilla is very similar to root beer. (Both are now artificially flavored I guess!)

After we had a grand time swapping ginger beer, root beer, sassafras tea and sarsparilla stories with grandparents, and so on, Friday night, we were back together Saturday for another nephew's birthday. My dad found some ginger beer at the store and we staged a tasting.

The verdict? Ginger beer is indeed ginger flavored, but I wouldn't compare the taste with root beer. Root beer is famous in America over ice cream as a "root beer float." It is a deeper, darker flavor, but hard to describe. I wonder if you can find it anywhere--perhaps a specialty shop?

If you do, try it ice cold over vanilla ice cream!

Sharon said...

Oh yeah, there is ginger beer and then there is Ginger Beer! Some brands are definitely more gingery than others.

We have sarsparilla here too, so I think I know what you mean. Sarsparilla definitely has an unusual taste. I think whenever it is available at parties or whatever here everybody is either loves it or hates it, nothing in between. Chinotto is another similar oddly-flavoured (to my mind) soft drink. I seem to remember that that is more strongly flavoured. I will have to check out the ingredients list the next time I see them for sale.

I had never even heard of sassafras. Does that grow wild in America? I presume it would have to.

In Australia we call a soft drink with ice cream a "Spider". I love lemonade spiders (store bought lemonade, not the real stuff we make from our own lemons).

Another probably useless piece of information: an old wives cure for bringing on labour is to drink a few doses of castor oil. Of course, castor oil tastes revolting, kinda like eating a tube of lipstick. But if you put it in a bottle of ginger beer, shake up the ginger beer and gulp it down before it stops fizzing, you will never taste the castor oil at all.

Thanks for taking the time to educate me about your foreign customs :-)

~ Sharon

Ruth said...

What a wonderful retelling of the fishing trip with Grandpa! Fishing is so good for kids (and adults) in so many ways (patience, time to relax and think, being out in God's world). I love fishing and hope I can do lots of it with my own kids. They are just a bit young yet for us to take them all fishing at once without losing a little one over the side!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...