Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Give an Answer

By now you know that Colin Powell endorsed Senator Obama. A check of the transcript reveals this quote:

I would have difficulty with two more conservative appointments to the Supreme Court, but that's what we'd be looking at in a McCain administration. I'm also troubled by, not what Senator McCain says, but what members of the party say. And it is permitted to be said such things as, "Well, you know that Mr. Obama is a Muslim." Well, the correct answer is, he is not a Muslim, he's a Christian. He's always been a Christian. But the really right answer is, what if he is? Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer's no, that's not America. Is there something wrong with some seven-year-old Muslim-American kid believing that he or she could be president? Yet, I have heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion, "He's a Muslim and he might be associated terrorists." This is not the way we should be doing it in America.


First, Campbell Brown, a CNN analyst suggested this and now Colin Powell. After blogging about Ms. Brown's comments a few days ago I wondered if I over-estimated Ms. Brown's influence on our collective thinking. Now, after hearing Colin Powell declare this on Meet the Press to the like-minded Tom Brokaw, I believe this is the perspective of liberal elites. Powell went on to praise the sacrifice of a Muslim-American soldier and his anecdote had the effect of equalizing the role of a Muslim-American soldier with a Muslim-American President.

Is there no one now willing to stand up and make an argument for why a Muslim would not be able to uphold the Constitution with intellectual integrity? Are we all so afraid of being tarred as Islamophobic that we won't speak up? Is there anyone left who is willing to fight the battle of ideas? Will no one take the side of Truth?

If you are homeschooling dialectic or rhetoric level children, I would encourage you to challenge your child to writing an essay arguing the case against a Muslim-American president. What liberties guaranteed in our Constitution cannot be allowed under Sharia law? Why is the American Constitution uniquely Western (Judeo-Christian)? How do Colin Powell's remarks reveal that he is committed to a liberty that imagines all ideas to be equal, rather than all people? (Hint: The terrorism link that Powell tosses into his argument is a distraction from the core issue.)

I Peter 3:14-16
But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened." But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.


(Edited 10/22 to improve clarity. Thanks for the feedback Mr. Edwards!)

5 comments:

Laura said...

I love your questions - "Is there anyone left who is willing to fight the battle of ideas? Will no one take the side of Truth?"

The few people I know who are willing to fight in the way you've mentioned are either missionaries in other countries or they are marginalized and considered 'fringe.' I've even heard those words describing our family from my own parents!

The situation is appalling, frustrating, maddening and yet, in some strange way, invigorating. My conviction is ever strengthened to give my children the tools they need to actively engage in the battle of ideas in the next generation. Gratefully, TOG is there to assist in my humble endeavors.

(No, we aren't on Year 4... just Year 2, Unit 3. We just decided to rent the Gladys Aylward movie from Netflix.)

Thanks for putting these thoughts out there into the public domain. Oh, that many would stumble upon the thoughts and be motivated to boldly do more.

Blessings,
Laura

Mrs. Edwards said...

I'm glad to strike a chord with someone! I'm in the fringe right there with you. (Sometimes called the remnant!)

I pray that all the events--the financial crisis, the election, the entitlement mentality of the millennial generation--will coalesce in the Church and bring revival. We need to cling to Christ.

Thanks for thinking through ideas with me and standing up for Truth.

learningatourhouse said...

Wow! Mrs. Edwards, I really had never thought of the problem a Muslim leader would have upholding the beliefs that our country was originally founded on. That point just goes to prove how far away we have come from our "origins," if you will. It was not that long ago, (I am only 33 years old now,) when was in school, and remember learning some of what the constitution was based on. It seems truly impossible to me to really understand the Constitution fully and ignore the Christian values, yet that is exactly where we are as a country today! That simple fact scares me more than anyting.

I have become very interested in learning more about Obama as of late. I know that there have been many remarks made in regards to his link to the Muslim religion and possibly even terrorist groups. I found myself, in the beginning, falling a little for what he had to say. I was reading a book he wrote, (the title excapes me at the moment.) and I thought he sounded like a wonderful person. As time has passed and I have had more time to let it all soak in, I am starting to liken his smooth talking to something more satanlike. Satan always appears wonderful at first glance, but if we look closely, and with prayer, the Lord will help us figure it out :)

Mrs. Edwards said...

Thanks for your comment, learningatourhouse. I'm so glad this helped you think through things.

Senator Obama actually denies that he is a Muslim and I suppose we must take him at his word. So while I'm not suggesting that he is a closet Muslim, I am suggesting that the Muslim religion is incompatible with our Constitution.

My focus at "Veritas at Home" is seeking God's Truth in our home school. While I don't wish to get into politics directly, I can't resist begging you to do all you can for the McCain campaign in your state, which I believe is an important electoral prize... :)

Thanks for reading and thinking with me!

Sharon said...

//I pray that all the events--the financial crisis, the election, the entitlement mentality of the millennial generation--will coalesce in the Church and bring revival.//

I was just praying this same thing this morning about my own country! It's my hope that when people see that money is not the sure-fire solution to everything, they might begin to ask themselves, "What is the solution?" And then maybe, some of them might come to a church where people will tell them that God has provided only one eternal solution: Jesus' death on a cross on their behalf, two millenia ago!

~ Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...