Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Living out our Faith

Bible Study Fellowship weekly questions are peppered with application questions. Even the Level 1 (first and second grade) kids are frequently asked, "Knowing this, how will you respond to God this week?" Or, "How does this change the way you live?" Etc.

Earlier in the BSF year, we studied Exodus 2. The kids learned, among other things, that young Miriam was a very responsible older sibling, entrusted with her baby brother's care. They also learned that Moses struggled with a very hot temper, that got the better of him in Egypt (when he killed a man), but that was under control in Midian (when he drove away the men harassing the daughters of Jethro). God made that change in Moses.

Inspired by this, I challenged the kids to earn a Miriam and Moses award. I would give the Miriam Award  for showing responsibility and the Moses Award for showing self-control over anger, with the help of God. At first I set the bar too high and said I wouldn't give the award until they displayed the trait all day. That was too much to ask and now I've decided to give it more often for single displays of the trait.

Here's Lane sporting a Miriam Award. After taking the picture, we glued the award into his workbook with the date and the details of how he earned the award. (He took his sheets off his bed and loaded the washing machine without being reminded.)



By the way, I've attracted some hits to the blog from Google searches for "BSF Life of Moses lesson answers" and similar searches. I hope you aren't actually looking for someone else's answers for your study sheet! The purpose of BSF daily questions is to help the BSFer dig deeper into the Word of God and learn from it. Finding the answer from a Google search robs you of the benefit of the study! I beg you, open up your Bible and find the answers. Ask for God's help and He will open your eyes to the answer. The Word of God is inspired by Him. Blogs like mine are meant to point you to Him.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

This is such a very good idea Mrs Edwards! I might just nick it for our family when we get into next year's BSF study.

This past week I have been reading the first half of Matt 26, about the Last Supper and Gethsemane. It made a huge impact on me, just as you predicted it would. Some of the questions really challenged me and made made me ask myself: Am I willing to give my all to do God's will and thus bring Him glory? Who do I really rely on, God or my friends?

Thanks for being a wonderful BSF blogger!

~ Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...