Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Powerless? or Powerful?


I found this opinion piece ("Who Wears the Pants?") in today's Wall Street Journal interesting. It turns out that feminists worry that stay-at-home moms lack power in their marriages. Does the level of income you contribute directly correlate to the power you wield in your marriage relationship?

Of course, the Christian perspective transcends the whole issue of power. In a marriage as God designed it there is no power struggle, for the power belongs to God. When God mandates the husband to love his wife as Christ loved the church and the wife to submit to her husband, it is hard to imagine how holding down a day job that brings in cash--or not--changes God's expectation of you.

What's your reaction to the article?

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Hi Amy,

I don't think it's even so much whether you are submitting to your husband - if you're submitting to God then that should come easily, because you will be on the same page - or at least want to be.

I just don't understand how earning money can change anything. Since we got married all money either of us earned has simply been "ours". I know not all couples do this but it just seems so odd that people would think the power to buy stuff means that they have power to buy love, attention or appreciation. Or self-worth. Surely, if you know the God of All loves you, you don't need to look for evidence of your power elsewhere?

However, I can see that this is definitely the western world's position on the matter. Otherwise why is anyone worrying about what's happening on the stock market? There are some very large benefits to being poorer rather than richer these days, as far as I can see!

Frankly, from a purely pragmatic perspective, I can see how being at home actually increases my power. I am having a huge impact on the lives of my kids. I actually have time to talk to my husband about things in detail, so I can also influence him. I might not be influencing "clients" or "customers", but in my small sphere of influence, I am very very important. I'd rather have a big influence on a few than a tiny influence on a multitude. The latter is just another way of saying, not really important at all.

~ Sharon

Mrs. Edwards said...

Sharon,
You hit the nail on the head with this comment!

It is curious (although probably part of the depravity of man) that anyone would equate having power with being valued!

The influence I have over my husband is sobering! I think of how Sarah managed to influence Abraham to cook up the plan with Hagar and pray that I will be careful about the plans I make with/for Mr. Edwards.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...