Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I have an idea, Mom!


Tonight Lane came to me with shining eyes.

"Mom! I have an idea!"
"What's that, Lane?"
"I want to make a movie!"
"A movie?" I asked, surprised.
"Yeah."
"Well..." I wondered what he could possibly be thinking.
"But we'll have to get equipment."
"Equipment?"
"Won't we need cameras and stuff? Where do we get that?"
"Well, Lane, yes, we'd need cameras. That costs money, Lane."
"How much?"
"Hundreds, thousands...a lot of money."
"Well, could we talk to the company?"
"The company? Lane, I think you'll just have to practice with our little camera. It can take short movie clips--" Maybe that will satisfy him, I hoped.
"Okay! Then we can just put them all together!"
"Right," I chuckled, imagining myself trying to edit together his video clips on iMovie, something I don't do very well or very fast. I'm hoping he'll forget about the whole thing...
"Mom?"
"I want to call the movie 'The New York Yankees Strike Out,' but how will we make the field?"
"The field?"
"Right, we'll need a field, and bases, and..."

I continued sweeping the floor, hoping for a change of subject.

"Mom?"
"Yes, Lane?"
"I want to make a book to go with it. We can take photographs. That will be easy."
"Mmmm."
"It can be like that Carnival of the Animals book. The one with the CD in the front pocket. We can put the movie disk in the front pocket of the book."
"Oh." I replied, uncertain how to conclude this conversation.

"Mom? How do you spell 'strike out'?"
"S-T-R-I-K-E---O-U-T"
Lane disappeared.

3 comments:

Christy said...

The book is always better than the movie ;)

My middle son loves making mini movies so much that we've considered buying him a video camera when he's older. I found him in my room yesterday, filming a Lego creation he'd made. I love imagination!

Mrs. Edwards said...

That's great about your son filming his Legos! I love that Lane actually thinks it could be possible to produce a movie and book. :) After that conversation, even as I typed it into the blog, he was drawing an illustration for the book.

Current Quote: said...

Looks like Lane has decided on a career already... Be sure to let me know when the movie's set to hit theaters! (you know, when 'the company' greenlights it) :D

-Taylor

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...