Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Thursday, November 27, 2008

I'm Thankful


This Thanksgiving morning was our third year to take a morning hike across a nature trail close to my sister's house. We (our family, my parents, my sister's family, and my aunt and uncle) parked on one side of the park, walked about a mile through the woods to my sister's, enjoyed a lovely brunch, and then walked back through the prairie to our cars. Actually, this was the first year that Jen hosted the amazing brunch but after we all ate her amazing French Toast casserole, braided pastry, and egg casserole, I'm pretty sure it is now a Thanksgiving tradition! The weather was perfect for Thanksgiving: crisp and sunny.

We are so blessed to have all of us (on my side of the family) together for Thanksgiving. Mr. Edwards and my brother-in-law work odd hours, so over the years they haven't both always been with us for holidays.

We bustled about cooking for the main event and Toby waited patiently most of the time. Finally, after disobeying and attempting to take a drink from his cup before anyone was served (the table was off limits to the kids at this point), he was forced to sit on the couch. That was it for him. After all that walking this morning, he was ready for a nap. He slept through the meal and as we were clearing away dishes, he woke up happy and wandered in to find Grandma eager to give him a plate of food!

Mr. Edwards and I are especially thankful that we get to enjoy our day with his parents and my parents. Although we will gather separately with Edwards relatives Saturday, it is so wonderful that they join us at my parents' on Thanksgiving day, too. We are very blessed to have both sets of parents living in our town. This is so unusual with most families scattered to the four winds, and we are very thankful! It is also a special blessing to our family that my aunt and uncle visit from out of town. They join us for birthdays and holidays and it isn't the same if they aren't with us!

After we returned home from Grandma and Grandpa's house (it's a short drive from their house to ours--two blocks, no turns!), the kids cleaned up and got into jammies. I walked into the living room to find Mr. Edwards reading to our four beloved children. When I looked over at these five people that I love so dearly I thought my heart would burst.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Psalm 145:11-14
They will tell of the glory of your kingdom
and speak of your might,

so that all men may know of your mighty acts
and the glorious splendor of your kingdom.

Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom,
and your dominion endures through all generations.
The LORD is faithful to all his promises
and loving toward all he has made.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I really wish we had family in town - or in the state - or within a couple thousand miles :)
Someday, we will live near family again!

Mrs. Edwards said...

You must be lonely up there in Alaska, especially with your husband deployed. My brother-in-law that you see pictured is deploying to the Middle East in January, so we all celebrated knowing that next year he won't be with us for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

It is so much easier to be thankful when circumstances are good. Even though we are feeling so blessed right now, I have been thinking a lot lately about if I'm strong enough to be thankful in difficult circumstances, not just good ones!

At least we can fellowship through blogging!

Sharon said...

Hey Amy, I've posted something I'm eternally thankful for just now. It's the story of how I came to become a Christian, as you asked for such a long while ago. But be warned before you get there, you might need a cup of coffee and a shut door, because it's a long post, even for me.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Love and blessings in Christ,
Sharon

PS, I got the email okay. I have only read the first chapter so far, and I think I will read it all the way through before I start re-reading with a view to sending comments, just so you know.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...