Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Reflections

Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. (2 Timothy 4:2-4)
I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war. His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. (Revelation 19:11-12)


One reason I focus so much on truth at "Veritas at Home" is because of the verses in Revelation that call Christ Faithful and True. The aim of our eduction is to introduce our children to Christ and the prayer that Mr. Edwards and I lift up daily is that our kids will know Him as their Lord and Savior.

Much will be written about the outcome of the American election, but it has opened my eyes to a few things:
  • Although I didn't realize it, I draw security from knowing that my government protects my freedom to worship. What if it stops doing this? How strong am I? "But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you." (Matthew 10:19-20)
  • The President-elect in America is the first American president to be educated in a Muslim elementary school and the first American President to be educated in Ivy League schools (Columbia and Harvard) after the famous rebellion of the sixties. In the years since, American universities have abandoned the concept of truth and tilted toward extreme leftist teachings. Western Civilization studies mostly consist of criticism of the West. Gender, race, and sexuality "studies" dominate. By his own admission in his memoirs, President-elect Obama was attracted to Marxist classes and social circles in his college years. Even today, his writings are kept from the public. The impact of this will be profound and far-reaching, for now the younger generation of voters share his same intellectual upbringing in education. We are now reaping the harvest of the closing of the American mind (see Bloom's book by that name) coupled with the gleeful rejection of traditional authorities. 
November 5, Evening Update:
After reading this, Mr. Edwards said, "Amy, this should be our verse:
Whom have I in heaven but You?
And earth has nothing I desire besides You.
(Psalm 73:25)"

You're quite right, Mr. Edwards.

Gloria Patri 

4 comments:

mom24 said...

Very well put for such a time as this. It saddens me that the freedoms my dh and I enjoy (and admittedly, take for granted) may not exist for my children.
For this reason, we too pray that they may know Jesus and His truth so they may not be decieved but stand strong when they face adversity (which may soon be coming for this nation).
My confidence is in the Lord!
Andrea

Mrs. Edwards said...

This comment comes from Terry, via email:

"I like many others feel the results of this election is a sad day for America but hope is not lost. Romans 8:28 says, And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. All things, not some, not part but all things. As Christians, we have an opportunity before us. To teach other Christians about their duty to God to see to it that Godly men and women are elected to leadership position.

But select capable men from all the people—men who fear God, trustworthy men who hate dishonest gain—and appoint them as officials over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens. (Exodus 18:21)

Finally, Pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17)"

Also, my friend Tonya emailed:
"We are going to spend our energy now praying for [President-elect Obama] and more for his two girls. I think that is the best part of him being in office is that he has children. We have two little people to pray for."

Great comments, ladies!
Mom24: You're quite right, our confidence is in the Lord!

Sharon said...

That colour's not exactly the same! I did a comment answering most of your questions, Mrs Edwards. I hope it (and the discussion of God's sovereignty) is helpful. I have been thinking of you.

~ Sharon

Sharon said...

I've worked out what I think is the problem with your title code now. I did a post all about HTML code and have included your instructions at the bottom. I hope it works!

~ Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...