Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

He Will Transform

I always turn a bit sentimental at the close of a year. I feel the passage of time and shake my head to realize another year is ending. Reading the Christmas cards of friends seems to drive home the point. So-and-so's out of high school now...Look, Mr. Edwards, the H. family's daughter is a teenager. Wasn't she a baby when we got married?...Look at the C. family's kids! They are getting so grown up. And so on.

In the break from our homeschool I also tend to give myself a year-end performance review. What am I doing well? What do I need to improve? Do I need to make any changes? 

With this in mind, I opened up my Bible for Day 364 in my yearly Bible reading plan: Proverbs 31, Job 42, and Philippians 3. What a combination!

Proverbs 31 gives me plenty of ideas for New Year's Resolutions:
She does [her husband] good and not harm, all the days of her life...
She...works with willing hands...
She rises while it is yet night...
She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy...
She opens her mouth with wisdom and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue...
She does not eat the bread of idleness...

Job 42, which caps off two weeks of reading the book of Job, gives me a proper sense of God's sovereignty over all when Job says to the LORD,
I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. (Job 42:2)

And Philippians 3 gives me encouragement in the face of conviction:
Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on...
For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables Him even to subject all things to Himself.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I love that quote from Job. I have been reading deeply in Galations the last few days (using some tips I got from BSF seminar 6). I have been so blessed by reading about the benefits that are ours, simply through faith in Christ Jesus:

righteousness
justification before God
the promised Holy Spirit
sonship (as sons of God!)
adopted as heirs of God
freedom from slavery to the law
joy...

God Bless!

~ Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...