Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Friday, December 19, 2008

The Only Thing I Want for Christmas

The economic downturn is touching our extended family pretty significantly, either through job loss or portfolio losses, and my brother-in-law is preparing to deploy to the Middle East in February. Like so many people in America and elsewhere, the economic difficulties are bringing about a re-assessment of what is important. In our recent Edwards Academy study of the Depression and the 1930s we discovered Eddie Cantor's music. It was then that I first heard his 1939 song, "The Only Thing I want for Christmas." We have it in our iPod's Christmas playlist.

If Santa passes by my stocking,
I promise not to mind a lot,
The only thing I want for Christmas,
Is just to keep the things that I've got.

A pair of loving arms around me,
A garden of forget-me-nots,
The only thing I want for Christmas,
Is just to keep the things that I've got.

A friend or two, a peaceful sky of blue,
A place to hang my hat,
When work of day is through.
If Santa passes by my chimney,
I'll still be happy like as not,
The only thing I want for Christmas,
Is just to keep the things that I've got.

At the conclusion, Eddie Cantor says, "You know, there is a lot of unhappiness in the world today, but we still have peace over here. In this country we really have Christmas 365 days each year."

This song hit the radio in 1939, the year of "The Wizard of Oz," "Gone with the Wind," and Hitler's invasion of Poland in September, followed by Britain's and France's declaration of war against Germany. The Depression was still painfully hurting our nation. In fact, Eddie Cantor lost everything in the stock market crash and spent the Thirties recovering as best as he could.




Music hosted by Odeo.com

1 comment:

learningatourhouse said...

Thanks for sharing! I think a lot of people could resonate with this song right about now.

Amy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...