Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

That I might not sin against You


I've been memorizing I Thesselonians 5:14-17 this week. How convicting for me in my homeschooling role!

And we urge you, brothers,
admonish the idle,

It seems that I'm always after the kids for being lazy. Maybe I've got that down...

encourage the fainthearted,
...Hmm, but I'm pretty certain that my admonishments are more common than my encouragements, and in some areas of life my kids are fainthearted to be sure...

help the weak,
...My three-year-old is strong-willed, but weak in other ways, lacking wisdom and responsibility. Am I helping him gain wisdom and responsibility or just admonishing his weaknesses? I need to discern the difference.

be patient with them all.
...Okay, I need this!

See that no one repays anyone evil for evil,
This is harder than it seems. Lord, help me to put a stop to the tit-for-tat arguments that brothers and sisters fall into...

but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone.
...and help me show them how to do good to each other instead!

Rejoice always,
Even when the juice concentrate is emptied onto the counter instead of in the pitcher?

pray without ceasing,
Yes, Lord, I need your strength!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Amen to this post. We had an incident this week with our littlest throwing a full jar of picante sauce on our kitchen floor. Needless to say, my immediate response was too loud. No rejoicing on my part!

Thanks for the reminder.
Laura

Jennifer said...

Thank you for that! This verse really spoke to me. What a wonderful reminder. I think that I need that on my wall to see throughout the day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...