Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Child Development Comedy

Yesterday I took Toby (pictured on the right, listening to Lane read Cowboy Small to him) to the pediatrician for his three-year-old check-up. I appreciate our doctor because she doesn't talk down to me. But that creates some humorous moments.

She asked about Toby's eating habits, checking on his nutrition.

"How is he at eating?"
I couldn't keep from chuckling, "He eats--a lot. We joke that if we both keeled over he'd survive in the house for a week because he gets into every cupboard and helps himself."
"Okay," she smiled and turned to her laptop to type it into the chart.

Later on, about potty training:
"How's that going?"
"Well...not so great. He still has accidents."
"But he understands how it works?"
"Oh, yes, he can do it, he just doesn't."
"Well, as long as he knows what to do and how it works, I think it is a battle that you won't win." At these words I must have looked crest-fallen. But, on the other hand, Toby's my fourth child so I know it will resolve eventually. She looked at me.
"Have you tried token economy?" My brain searched for a connection--had I heard of this? I could deduce what it meant but--
"What's that?"
"Well, you can give him a jar to collect marbles in and when he gets a certain amount of marbles, you reward him with a video or something. He earns the marbles by having a dry day. He loses marbles when he doesn't have a dry day. This puts him in control of the situation, which helps." She went on to explain this method of behavior modification, which you will no doubt recognize immediately if you have taken psychology classes (a subject in which I am only self-educated through reading). Nevertheless, in my assessment of my son, this won't work. I just smiled.
"We have used rewards," I couldn't tell her about our system of candy red hots; it suddenly seemed weak and simple. Not exactly token economy. "But haven't seen much difference."

She thankfully moved on.

"Safety!" It was a declaration of a new topic. She launched into her spiel.
"At this age safety is a very important area of concern. Make sure that you put all medicines out of reach--even out of his problem-solving reach, and be sure that..."
Problem-solving reach? Once again I quickly put together her meaning. Oh yes, child development tells us that when Toby naughtily climbs on my counters to reach the marshmallows that are tucked in the top cupboard he is problem-solving.

Isn't he smart?

1 comment:

Sharon said...

That made me laugh because two days ago Sam climbed up on the kitchen counter - little feet perched on the cupboard door knobs to push himself up - to reach down some corn thins, which he promptly fed himself for an early lunch. He also managed to get at the bowl of fruit, even higher, and then got himself into his high chair (it's not fancy, just has four metal stick legs) at least a metre from any other flat surface (I have no idea how) to sit and peel the mandarin himself. He is getting more resourceful every day.

Have a good weekend.

~ Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...