Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Keeping Sharp

I've recently added two blogs to my Reader that you might enjoy, if you don't already keep an eye on them:  Koinonia, which is a Zondervan blog, and Desiring God Blog: God Centered Resources from the Ministry of John Piper.

Koinonia, being a blog from Zondervan, features many of Zondervan's writers and in some sense is a promotional tool for the publishing company. I've found some very interesting and thoughtful posts from the world of Biblical scholarship (including this post about Johannine studies from Dr. Gary Burge, who was my Christian Thought professor at Wheaton). You'll find posts about Bible translation (Biblical languages and text), Old and New Testament backgrounds, archeology, hermeneutics, book reviews, and interviews with authors. (Hat tip to Sharon for directing me to an article on this blog about hermeneutics and children's ministry curricula.) I've especially enjoyed the recent book review posts on The God I Don't Understand, by Christopher Wright, including video clips of Mr. Wright discussing his book. 

The blog from Desiring God contains wisdom and resources from John Piper's ministry. John Piper is the author of Don't Waste Your Life and other books, and the Pastor of Preaching and Vision at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis. The arm of Desiring God ministries for children, Children Desiring God, produces an excellent children's ministry curriculum. I am enjoying teaching the "In the Beginning...Jesus" third grade year of this curriculum. I've found posts here that get me thinking beyond cliches, such as "Is God's Love Unconditional?", trustworthy Bible commentary, and wonderful quotes from historical Christian thinkers.

There are so many quality blogs and websites produced by churches and Christian scholars--there are too many to track! There isn't time (or priority) to keep an eye on all of them, but I've found that with these in my Reader I can catch posts here and there that interest me and I feel that I'm staying connected with Biblical scholarship from my homeschooling classroom!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...