Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Monday, February 23, 2009

March Reading: Orthodoxy

This March I will be reading through G. K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy. There is still time for you to pick up a copy of the book and read it with me! This book is on my 2009 Reading Wish List and my blogging friend Sharon suggested reading it together this March.

I'm not doing as well on my reading wish list as I hoped. I got a bit bogged down in The Coldest Winter, a fascinating but long Korean War history, and haven't nearly kept pace at one book a week! But, I expected as much. Even though I'm finishing up D'Souza's What's So Great About Christianity, skimming Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics, and reading Ralph Moody's Little Britches, not to mention our school reading, I'm planning to read Orthodoxy in March. (Look for Lines of Literature posts on What's So Great... and Basic Economics soon.)

This is my first time to read G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936), a prolific writer that influenced many writers who followed him, including C. S. Lewis. Chesterton writes in his preface: 
It is the purpose of the writer to attempt an explanation, not of whether the Christian faith can be believed, but of how he personally has come to believe it.

The book is therefore arranged upon the positive principle of a riddle and its answer. It deals first with all the writer's own solitary and sincere speculations and then with all the startling style in which they were all suddenly satisfied by the Christian theology.
The annotated edition (Craig Kibler, editor, Reformation Press) that I ordered from Amazon.com runs just 230 pages. Won't you join me?

3 comments:

Sharon said...

You are very prepared, Amy. My copy is sitting on the edge of the bookshelf behind me, just waiting for the first of March to arrive!

I haven't written much lately because we had visitors over the weekend, Jeff was preparing for his first sermon at the new church, and our internet connection was not working for several days. It's been on for 12 hours or so now, so hopefully will stay better this week!

~ Sharon

Sharon said...

I just checked and there's nine chapters. Shall we aim for two chapters a week, finishing the last chapter in the half week at the end of the month?

Will you do a post on each chapter, or each week? How will we talk about it?

My internet connection is very very problematic at the moment, it seems to be getting worse not better, so I can't commit to posting on certain days. Sometimes we have no access for a few days in a row.

However, I can type my thoughts and post/email them when I get a chance. They just might not be particularly evenly spaced. I'll probably back date them though!

Hope things are going well with you. You seem to have been very busy while I am posting next to nothing! (And thanks for the HT.)

~ Sharon

Mrs. Edwards said...

That's frustrating about the internet connection. I miss you when you aren't around.

I like your idea to aim for two chapters a week. I just hope I keep pace! :) I suppose we can each post on our respective blogs, comment to each other, and if it makes sense, refer to each other's posts within our posts? I don't know...I guess it will partly flow from how much we have to say about the book. I hope it is interesting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...