Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Monday, March 9, 2009

Flyin' High and Lovin' Lane

Nearly a year ago I sat in a meeting with other moms in a homeschooling co-op planning meeting. When it was my turn to say what I was interested in teaching, I thought of Lane. I really wanted to teach a class that he would be in. In my first two years in the co-op, I taught Heroes of the Faith, Poetry, Kansas History, and Poetry (again, to a different age level). I was chafing to go in a little different direction. So I suggested a flight class. I figured it would be just the sort of thing I would never bother with at home--perfect for a co-op. The months passed. I taught a Honor and Protocol class last semester and after Christmas realized it was time to plan for FLIGHT.

No big deal, I told Mr. Edwards. We'll do three weeks on paper airplanes, three weeks on kites, and three weeks on rockets. How hard can it be? I'm through with typing lesson plans! This will be a breeze!

Well, the paper airplanes worked out okay.
The kites haven't been so successful. Mrs. B. and Mrs. C. and I  spent class time hurrying around tying knots, taping dowels, and trying to keep chaos from erupting as restless children waited for help. Mr. Edwards and I have been toiling over kites over two weekends (it turns out that even a dozen amazing and bright six and seven-year-olds really aren't up to assembling kites!). Today was the day. Time to fly.
Isaac's actually did fly for a bit. Before it completely fell apart.
I worked as best as I could to quickly repair kites, but I would have been more successful with a roll of duct tape!
Ethan seemed to have fun anyway. (Lane's not looking at the camera here, but there he is.)
My friend Pam took these pictures for me. Her daughter stayed cheerful even in the face of a stiff wind!
"Mrs. Edwards! My bridle broke! Mrs. Edwards, can you tie this? Mrs. Edwards! My wood snapped!"

It was too windy, but in Kansas you are hard pressed to find a day that isn't. The funny thing about all of this is that I thought I picked a really easy design, after researching kite design online. The plastic and tape system seemed easier for small hands to manage than the traditional notched dowels and butcher paper. Trust me, after this I'm getting back to lesson planning and sticking with what I know. Who wants to take economics? Writing? Bible?

Mr. Edwards, thank you for bailing me out on this project. Will you still help me figure out rockets?

Lane, I love you, kiddo. We'll go get a kite at Wal-Mart and try this again!

Many thanks to Mr. and Mrs. B. and Mrs. C. for their help today. Special thanks to Mrs. B. for taking these pictures with my camera. Mrs. C. took quite a few, as well, so if nothing else it made for a fantastic photo op!

5 comments:

momma24 said...

The kids are having a ball and learning a lot! Thank you for teaching this because I wouldn't do it at home either!

Mrs. Edwards said...

It was fun. Hannah was very patient with me.

Today I picked up four diamond kites at Wal-Mart for a buck each. I wish I had realized they were so cheap!

Sharon said...

Did I tell you about the time we went out to fly Joshua's kite and the entire roll of string went out and the kite blew away?

Josh and I ran for three or four blocks in and out of suburban streets chasing the kite before we couldn't see it anymore and gave up. We turned around to go home, prayed together that either we'd find it or someone who would love to play with it would find it, turned a corner and looked right at it. It had landed in a giant bouganvillea, and thus been hidden from our previous search, despite our asking two people in houses next-door to the garden where it landed if they had seen a kite come down.

Josh asked me "who do you think found it first?" and I promptly replied, "God did - then he showed it to us!" I was really glad God had waited until we had prayed before he let us find it!

Our family love kite adventures.

~ Sharon

Susie said...

Hi Mrs. Edwards!
I love to read your blog and stumbled upon this post about your co-op. We are in the midst of planning for a co-op, the first in the area, for the fall semester. I was hoping you'd reply via email and tell me more about your co-op, what you like about it and what works really well.

Mrs. Edwards said...

Hi, Susie!
I'll email this week with some thoughts. Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...