Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Peter's Shadow and Mea Culpa


This afternoon we cozied up to read Peter Pan aloud together.
"...She returned to the nursery, and found Nana with something in her mouth, which proved to be the boy's shadow. As he leapt at the window Nana had closed it quickly, too late to catch him, but his shadow had not had time to get out; slam went the window and snapped it off.
You may be sure Mrs. Darling examined the shadow carefully, but it was quite the ordinary kind."
"Mom!" It was Lane, cutting me off with his exclamation. "It wasn't too ordinary. Ordinary shadows don't snap off."

"That's true!" We laughed.
"...[Mrs. Darling] decided to roll the shadow up and put it away carefully in a drawer, until a fitting opportunity came for telling her husband. Ah me!
The opportunity came a week later, on that never-to-be-forgotten Friday. Of course it was a Friday.
'I ought to have been specially careful on a Friday,' she used to say afterwards to her husband, while perhaps Nana was on the other side of her, holding her hand.
'No, no,' Mr. Darling always said, 'I am responsible for it all. I, George Darling, did it. Mea culpa, mea culpa--'"
I looked up from the book with a giant smile for Hope and Sydney, wondering, hoping, that they would remember from their Latin lessons several weeks ago--

"My fault! My fault!" Sydney nearly shouted in glee. I grinned at her and continued to read the next line--
"He had had a classical education,"
wrote J. M. Barrie. 

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Lovely!

I see you found the image on Wikipedia. Do you know if it just an internal cover piece? It would make a perfect image for colouring.

~ Sharon

Mrs. Edwards said...

I'm not savvy about images for my blog at all. I haven't cracked the code on book covers as you and so many others have. I tried with LibraryThing and Lilies of the Field but couldn't get it to work. That's why I use Wikipedia so often. Everything there is usually clearly "Public domain" or "fair use" so I feel safe. As for this one, I don't know other than it says it is a 1915 cover.

It would be great for coloring! Click on the image and it will take you to the full image to print and color. Wonderful idea!

Sharon said...

I either borrow the images from online bookstores (with appropriate references down the bottom of my post) or I scan the image myself. I did that with the Endeavour book recently. I haven't ever considered using Library Thing. if I had images for the book covers of every book I have read/am reading on my side bar, it would go on forever!

~ Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...