Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Projects


Last week Hope gave a brief speech to her co-op class about Mary Slessor. She was nervous, but got through it. She had really practiced at home making eye contact with her audience, but after her speech she told me, "Mom, I just couldn't look up at everyone. I knew if I did I would stop!" 


Sydney wanted to attempt to type her speech about Amy Carmichael. She did type the first draft, along with her friend's help. I helped her on the second draft with the typing. She dictated some more details and we worked together to make improvements. Sydney was so scared to present her speech, but made it through! She did it!

In our focus on the 1970s, we talked a bit about environmentalism, pollution, and recycling. We had earlier toured a recycling sorting facility with our co-op, so I gave Lane the assignment of designing his own recycling center. He drew the floor plan on paper and then built it with Toby's duplo blocks.


In the picture above you see the loading zone on the left. The conveyor belt brings in the "trash" and workmen stand along the side sorting. The round yellow piece is the office table. Over on the right you see the trucks pulling up to the building.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Well done Sydney for overcoming your fears! Hip hip hooray!
And well done to Hope as well.
~ Mrs J

Hello Lane.
I have been trying to collect Power Mind [Lego Power Miners]. I only have Power Mind 3. It is the coolest one, it is an orange one that has an orange blade out the front. It is very big. It has a drill also. The orange bit out the front scoops out the dynamite.
Our Duplo set doesn't have a black square, neither a table. But we do have a truck like that.
~ Joshua

Mrs. Edwards said...

Hi Joshua,
This is Lane.
I made the recycling center out of Duplo blocks. I still have little Legos though. I have two Star Wars sets, two firemen sets, one Indiana Jones set, and a medieval set. I don't have Power Miners, but I'd like one alright!

My neighbors have a magazine that is for Power Miners. I didn't look through it but the front had one on it.

~Lane

Mrs. Edwards said...

Sharon,
Just for the record, Lane has not seen Indiana Jones movies, but received a Lego set for his birthday. Mr. Edwards did show him a two minute clip of the scene from "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" where Indy and his dad blow through the checkpoint, since this is the scene of his set--the motorcycle and sidecar and the checkpoint.

I just wanted to clarify in case Joshua thought that he had seen it.

Blessings to your family. Lane was so thrilled to have a note from Joshua.
~Amy

Sharon said...

Hi Lane,

I just got two Power Miners the other day. I haven't opened Power Miners 2 yet, because I have to do jobs at home to earn money to buy it from Dad.

I have two under the sea lego sets and a big motor bike that also makes a racing car.

~ Joshua

(Amy, I didn't even know you could get Indiana Jones sets. Were they released to coincide with the latest movie? I went and saw that one with Jeff and towards the end it was absolutely Bizarre!~ Sharon)

Mrs. Edwards said...

Joshua,
Cool Legos. Sounds like you have a lot of Power Miners. Today we are going to the Great Plains Nature Center with our friends the G. family.

~Lane

Sharon,
That movie was very bizarre! Lane's set pertains to the third movie.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...