Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hodgepodge

Off-label imaginations....

Remember nearly a year ago, when I posted about my kids' off-label imaginations (Part 1 and Part 2)?

Here are a couple of the latest off-label uses around here...

This coat-hanger only looks like that to you because you lack imagination. It is actually a motorcycle's handlebars, complete with dials and gauges. Edwards boys somehow are able to coax a lot of power out of these babies! Vrooooom!

If Lane decides he wants something that we don't have he dashes off to his school table in the basement for a while and then re-emerges with his own hand-made solution. In the picture above you see his basketball goal that he put together from some boxes.


...and miscellaneous happenings.

Finally, I have to tell about our walk around the neighborhood with our beloved dog, Jessi (shown above with Sydney at her birthday party). If you don't know Jessi, she is a very gentle and calm Vizsla. Yesterday evening I took the kids and Jessi on a long walk. We had Jessi on the leash and Toby in the wagon. I felt like exercise, so we took a very long route around our neighborhood. Jessi is a pointer and we were having a good time watching her notice every living creature we passed: robins and other birds, bunnies, cats, dogs, even the horse and pony.

But we were totally shocked when a bird flew by and she leapt up and nabbed it!

I probably screamed. The bird screamed. Jessi shook her head back and forth. The bird flapped and tried to get free. I tugged on the leash, my heart sinking.

Jessi dropped the bird. It proved to be a young but full-fledged bird--we think it was a Western Kingbird--and it lay dying on the sidewalk. The kids stood around the poor bird as it gasped out its dying breaths. It was nothing short of awful to stand there and watch, knowing my four kids were watching death's sting for the first time. The little bird finally gave it up and lay still.

"Is it dead?" someone asked.

"Yes. Let's go." I advised, worried the kids would want to pick up the bird. Sydney hugged Jessi and said something like, "How could you?"

Sydney asked, "Do birds go to heaven?"

"I don't think so," I answered.

"That's right." Lane put in. "They don't have souls."

"But the Bible tells us that God knows what happened to that bird just now. He saw it." I told them. We walked on.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I do remember those posts! We have a lot of small blocks of wood masquerading as mobile phones, and Mega Block computers are also a very important part of play for my kids. Anna does a lot of typing! I wonder who she thinks she is playing at being?

~ Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...