Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Friday, May 8, 2009

Mother's Day Challenge


This challenge to women appears in John Piper's essay "A Vision of Biblical Complementarity: Manhood and Womanhood Defined According to the Bible."

The essay concludes with a 15-point challenge for women and a parallel (but different) challenge for men. You really should read all 15, but for now consider (for the women) points 7, 10, 11, and 13:

7. That you be totally committed to ministry, whatever your specific calling; that you not fritter away your time on soaps or women’s magazines or unimportant hobbies or shopping; that you redeem the time for Christ and his Kingdom.

10. That, if you have children, you accept responsibility with your husband (or alone if necessary) to raise up children in the discipline and instruction of the Lord-children who hope in the triumph of God-sharing with your husband the teaching and discipline they need, and giving them the special attachment they crave from you, as well as that special nurturing touch and care that you alone are fitted to give.

11. That you not assume that secular employment is a greater challenge or a better use of your life than the countless opportunities of service and witness in the home, the neighborhood, the community, the church, and the world; that you not only pose the question: career or full-time homemaker?, but that you ask just as seriously: full-time career or freedom for ministry? That you ask: Which would be greater for the Kingdom- to work for someone who tells you what to do to make his or her business prosper, or to be God’s free agent dreaming your own dream about how your time and your home and your creativity could make God’s business prosper? And that in all this you make your choices not on the basis of secular trends or upward lifestyle expectations, but on the basis of what will strengthen the faith of the family and advance the cause of Christ.

13. That you develop a wartime mentality and lifestyle; that you never forget that life is short, that billions of people hang in the balance of heaven and hell every day, that the love of money is spiritual suicide, that the goals of upward mobility (nicer clothes, cars, houses, vacations, food, hobbies) are a poor and dangerous substitute for the goals of living for Christ with all your might and maximizing your joy in ministry to people’s needs.

The essay itself is chapter one of Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood, edited by John Piper and Wayne Grudem. The full text of this book is available to read free online at The Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (CBMW.org).

Happy Mother's Day!
Pictured in the photo are, left to right: My mother-in-law, Mrs. Edwards; me; my mother, Mrs. S.; and my sister, Mrs. C. Taken on Mother's Day, 2005.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Okay, I bet you're going to be jealous when I say this, but I just read your post and thought to myself, "hmm, I wonder if we have that book among the library of books we are looking after for the M family, who are in England for three years?" It took me about two seconds to walk over from the computer and find it on our shelves! It is really lovely knowing other bibliophiles who think of us when they need someone to house their books for them.

But what I really wanted to say was I find this post just makes your choice of excerpt for your previous post all the more absurdly funny. For me, anyway. Of course, I am presuming that JM Barrie never had even a twinkling that some people might actually be doing sums like these today, coming up with the opposite conclusion, and then actually killing their daughter because she was not "financially convenient".

On another note, thanks for the compliments on my Mother's Day posts. Together with the post I wrote the other day on my Saturday morning, they formed a talk I gave yesterday at my church's Women's Breakfast. It was exciting and nerve wracking and, from the comments, it went well. Praise the LORD!

I hope you have a good Mother's Day, and that you enjoy some special time with your kiddos.

~ Sharon

Mrs. Edwards said...

Sharon,
I'm not so jealous about the book now, because I already bought one. I've been wanting a copy for several weeks, however. Since you don't observe me in life I must say that I'm not a feminist, and yet, reading Recovering is showing me just how thoroughly even "conservative" churches have absorbed ungodly ideas about gender.

Yes, I find the passage about Wendy's parents very funny and, as you say, absurd given our current moral climate. I'm having a lot of fun reading Peter Pan aloud to the kids. It is full of wonderful vocabulary and expressions. Quite fun to read.

I wish I could have heard your talk. I bet it was very good.

Sharon said...

Sorry, it wasn't recorded to my knowledge. I didn't even think to ask for that, but it could have been without too much trouble, I imagine. It would have been nice for me to be able to hear what I sounded like afterwards. I was very nervous!

I am working on being able to post Jeff's sermons on Mark on my other blog, but it might be a little while away. I have been very busy this week (and in the midst of all the rush felt very cared for and protected by the LORD as I was able to get everything done just at the right time).

Mrs. Edwards said...

I sometimes forget that as I am winding down for the summer break you are kicking into full gear the second school term! I was thinking about it just last week when we (in the Edwards Academy) learned about the hemispheres and the change of seasons. I drew Australia on one half of a tennis ball and North America on the other half to make my point to the kids (using a flashlight for the sunlight).

I'll be praying for your strength and sustenance.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...