Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Birthday Blessings

The last few days have been a wonderful celebration of my birthday. My mother made a delicious birthday lunch for Sunday: grilled salmon with capers sauce and some of my favorite side dishes along with a family favorite, orange-pineapple cake. (Sorrry, we didn't have the camera.)

Mr. Edwards also made a birthday cake and last night we enjoyed it with our family of six. (Mr. Edwards took all the pictures and isn't in any of them! Oops.)



The cake had to be stored on top of our kitchen cabinets all day long because Toby wanted to eat it so badly. I know he was more thrilled to light the candles than I was. At least we lacked the right number of candles! The kids asked me, "Why are there only six candles, Mom?"



The boys gave me a bouquet of carnations and the girls gave me a sweet charm for my necklace. It is engraved with "Mom."



After all the kids were tucked in, our friends and neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. B. came over for cake. (Yes, I had another slice!) Mrs. B. gave me the book Desiring God, which, if you can believe it, I hadn't read yet! Last night I couldn't resist starting in on reading it. It turns out that The Weight of Glory was one of the things that influenced John Piper to encapsulate his understanding of the Christian life in this way: "God is most glorified in me when I am most satisfied in Him."

The Bible reading plan I use has me reading Colossians every year around my birthday (along with the end of Proverbs and portions of 2 Chronicles about Asa, Jehoshaphat, and the prophet Micaiah). Nearly every line in Colossians is underlined in my Bible. Listen to this:
"Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
Put to death therefore what is earthly in you:...In these you too once walked, when you were living in them. But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth...Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience...Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly..." (Col. 3:2-4, 5a, 8, 12a, 16a)
But don't settle for this cut-and-paste version of Colossians 3! Read the whole thing. (It also goes along very well with the account of Micaiah, who had his mind set on things above and lived as one already dead to the world.)

6 comments:

MagistraCarminum said...

Happy birthday, Amy!

Laura said...

Happy, happy birthday!

learningatourhouse said...

Happy Birthday!

Sharon said...

I hope you had a fabulous day and enjoy your post-birthday public holiday as well. Hip, hip, hooray!

(I know what you mean about the cake. Joshua came into the playroom this afternoon, frantic to tell me that Sam had taken the fresh loaf of bread off our kitchen counter and was under our dinner table devouring his second slice. Very amusing!)

~ Sharon

Sharon said...

And yes, why are there only six candles???

~ Sharon

Twyska said...

Happy belated birthday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...