Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

It All Comes Back to Jesus!

All four kids had a super time last week at Vacation Bible School. So often VBS week can be overwhelmed by a cool theme, fun music and crafts, with little attention given to the Gospel, other than a quick invitation on last day. However, their week on the "Boomerang Express" was, as nearly as I can tell, very centered on the Gospel.


The picture below shows Toby and his class around the "campfire" (look for the orange tissue paper) hearing about Jesus.



All the kids made didgeridoos, and below you see Toby blowing his enthusiastically.



Daily Applications:
  • Because Jesus loves and chooses me, I can follow Him.
  • Because Jesus is the Son of God, I can worship Him.
  • Because Jesus died for me, I can confess Him as my Savior.
  • Because Jesus forgives me, I can still serve Him.
  • Because Jesus helps me, I can follow God's plan for me.
I often find VBS curricula sorely lacking in depth, but Lifeway's Boomerang Express seems theologically rich and centered on the Gospel. Thanks so much to all the leaders who put hours of work into obeying God through serving in VBS.

4 comments:

Laura said...

So great to hear! Our small church is using this same curriculum for an evening VBS outreach at the end of July. I've just started digging into the curriculum to teach the K-1 ages. Thanks for the info... I'm so happy to know there is some depth involved.

Sharon said...

I have to say, that koala looks evil! I can't remember the ones we've seen even having eyebrows...

And the poster of the outback train station makes it all seem very civilised and not nearly so dusty as that sort of thing usually is. The windows look very clean and shiny and the corrugated iron roof looks very new as well. But the water tank and the windmill are spot on.

And a hot tip on didgeridoos: yes, they are meant to make sounds like cows wailing in pain. The far more important thing to know is that girls aren't meant to blow them. According to some of the saltwater girls from Maningrida I used to teach at Kormilda in Darwin, if a girl plays a didgeridoo, she will get pregnant (it allows spirits to enter her body). So let Sydney and Hope be warned!! Mind you, they also told me that an unmarried girl should never sit under a pandanus tree because if the fruit fall on her, that is another sign she will surely soon be pregnant. Frankly, I would have thought it was a sure sign she would be unconscious - pandanus fruit look a bit like small, non-prickly artichokes, but they are browny-red and very woody and hard.

Just a bit of random Australiana for you...

God bless!
~ Sharon

Mrs. Edwards said...

That is pretty funny about the didgeridoos. It reminds me of some of the American Indian things people collect, such as "dream catchers." That is, the more you know about them the more you realize it is rooted in paganism or superstition.

Yes, the koala does look a little angry. That particular painting was done by someone at the church (rather than it coming with the VBS material).

By the way, the kids LOVE Colin and Nudge! Also, Lane is asking to watch "We of the Never Never" again.

Mrs. Edwards said...

Laura,
I'll be looking forward to hearing how your week of VBS goes. For now I'll being praying that God would bring kids ready to hear about Him.
Amy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...