Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Reading with Abandon

My friend Sharon recently blazed through the Twilight book series. She described her Twilight week as follows:
"So possibly only my mother will be unsurprised to hear that I finished reading the entire series on Saturday, four and a half days later. You might have wondered why there was a complete dearth of posting on this blog between Monday and Saturday. Well, now you know! "

I know exactly what she means. Our daughter Hope has been lost to me this week as she is blazing through another, older book series: The Borrowers. So at 9:30 this morning when she sat in her nightgown at the breakfast table reading Borrowers Aloft, her bagels on the plate with only two bites gone, I was conflicted. Of course I should be reprimanding her for neglecting her morning--get dressed! eat! start your chores!--but all I could do was sympathize. She only had a few more pages left!

2 comments:

Sharon said...

That's really funny. When I read The Borrowers to our kids, I started to read the sequels as well. The problem was, I wasn't content to wait to find out what happened while reading chapters aloud to the kids. I couldn't help myself wanting to read ahead on my own! In the end, I read the second book aloud to them, but then had to put the book aside. I wanted to be just as excited reading it to them in a few years time, when they are old enough to listen to the whole thing from start to finish, many chapters at a time and not at the frustrating pace of one chapter each day.

~ Sharon

Sharon said...

That's really funny. When I read The Borrowers to our kids, I started to read the sequels as well. The problem was, I wasn't content to wait to find out what happened while reading chapters aloud to the kids. I couldn't help myself wanting to read ahead on my own! In the end, I read the second book aloud to them, but then had to put the book aside. I wanted to be just as excited reading it to them in a few years time, when they are old enough to listen to the whole thing from start to finish, many chapters at a time and not at the frustrating pace of one chapter each day.

~ Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...