Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Rescued, Part 2

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen.
Galatians 1:3-5 (ESV)
I was so taken with this passage from Galatians that I looked up to see if Charles Spurgeon had a sermon on it. Indeed he did, sermon number 2483, "The Object of Christ's Death" dated 1896. I offer a few quotes in the hope that you will read the whole thing:
"The apostle Paul, in his writings, is notable for the fact that he scarcely ever mentions the name of the Lord Jesus Christ without pausing to praise and bless him...Brethren, let us all try to keep a heart like the apostle's, so full of love to Christ that we have only to come across his track, and we shall at once fall down, and worship and adore him, or upon the wings of holy love mount up nearer to his throne."

"This, then, is the great object of Christ's death, to deliver us from the world's condemnation[*], and to deliver us from the world's condition...Yet once more, he will do this by delivering us from all fear of this world...O brothers and sisters, were the martyrs as brave as this, and are we going to yield to whatever laws and rules the world lives to lay down for us? Do we mean to believe its current theology, or philosophy, and do or not do as it may dictate? For my part, "I would as lief not be as live to be in awe of such a thing as I myself." Since Christ has given me my liberty, I am his servant; and whether I am in the fashion or out of the fashion, is no concern of mine so long as I please him. Dear friends, let it be so with you, I pray you, and may the Lord daily divide you more and more from the world, so that, at home or abroad, everybody can see that you are not of the world! Love men, seek their good, and in the highest and best sense be far more loving to the world than the world is to itself; but still, fear it not. Why should you? It is "the present evil world" which "lieth in the wicked one." It is for you bravely to bear your protest against the world every day you live, for to this end did he come to this earth, "that he might deliver us from this present evil world."
* That is, the condemnation of God's judgment on the world for its (our) sin. So Spurgeon is saying that when we believe in Christ we are saved from eternal condemnation and we are saved from the condition of the world, which is enslaved to sin. It is a bit unfair to strip these quotes out of the sermon. I hope you will enjoy it in full here. (All bold emphasis mine.)

5 comments:

Laura said...

May the Lord continue to 'daily divide' me 'more and more from the world, so that, at home or abroad, everybody can see that' I am 'not of the world!'

Whew... that is from God straight to my ears today. Can't wait to read it all!

Mrs. Edwards said...

Amen!

Meredith said...

Hello again.

I don't think I have ever read any Spurgeon before. What would be your best pick for a Spurgeon novice? (Or best picks if choosing one is too hard?) If you are up for that challenge. :-)

~ Meredith

Meredith said...

Hello again.

I don't think I have ever read any Spurgeon before. What would be your best pick for a Spurgeon novice? (Or best picks if choosing one is too hard?) If you are up for that challenge. :-)

~ Meredith

Mrs. Edwards said...

Hi Meredith,
I've got a birthday coming up and I've asked my family for a set of Spurgeon's sermons, because I've only read a few of them. The very first one I encountered was about the Passover and Jesus, the Passover Lamb. But in the last few days I've been looking online for sermons that go with passages that I read in my devotions. I have not been disappointed!

Since the sermons are indexed online by Scripture, I would choose a sermon that covers a passage that you have read recently.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...