Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Rescued

I read Galatians 1 this morning and meditated on the chapter with Eric Liddell's devotional questions, especially

2. What have I specially to thank God for this morning? and
5. What bearing does this morning’s Bible passage have on my life, and what does He want me to do about it?

Heavenly Father,
I thank you for the grace and peace you've given me through Your Son Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for my sins to deliver me from this present evil age, according to Your will. You, who set me apart before I was born, who called me by Your grace, who revealed Your Son to me, in order that I might glorify You forever! (verses 3-5, 15)

Am I seeking the approval of man? Or of You, my Creator God? Am I trying to please man? For if I am, I am not a servant of Christ! (verse 10)

I plead for the work of Christ in me to change my whole heart. Let me not give into what my own evil culture demands of me. Let me not be confused by a distorted gospel. Let me instead be so saturated by Your Word that I am unshaken by false gospels, undeterred by doubt, and confident even when surrounded by unbelief. (verses 6-9)


It is interesting to me that Paul says, "...who gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age..." (v. 4) It isn't only a deliverance from a future, eternal condemnation, but a deliverance from the present evil age. Consider:

1 John 5: 19 We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.

John 15:19 If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

Ephesians 2:1-8
1 And you were dead in the trespasses and sins 2 in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— 3among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. 4But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ— by grace you have been saved— 6and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...