Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Summer

Last summer I attempted early on to establish a schedule. Although it ended up evolving significantly over the course of the summer, it helped to start from somewhere. I also tried a "zone defense" on chores that was somewhat successful. Right now we have a notecard system and the chores rotate between siblings. The important thing is that we are actually doing them each morning.

Looking forward to this summer, I have a to-do list forming:

  • Prime and re-paint the old metal patio chairs.
  • Paint the basement bathroom.
  • Clean the school book shelves and consider parting with some of the less-important selections (such as "Bob the Builder and Colors"). If you've seen our bookshelves you know I'm not into chucking children's books. For better or worse, a childhood experience is to blame here. I loved the book Fourteen Bears in Summer and Winter as a child. One of my favorite pastimes was looking at each bear's decorated tree (Swedish painted furniture for this bear, Modern for that bear, Chinese decor here, Medieval look there). My mother got rid of the book after I grew out of picture books and we moved to a different place. When I looked for it as an adult, it was out of print and used copies were selling for about $1,000. When the book was re-released a few years back I bought a copy for each of my daughters. Now I see it is out of print again! And selling for $159.00 as of this posting. Hmm. If you want to borrow ours I suppose we'll need a security deposit!  
  • Empty kitchen cabinets, clean the shelves.
  • Clean some closets, particularly the school closet and the basement storage room.
Not to mention reading with the kids, swimming, going to the lake whenever we can, Vacation Bible School week, the 5-Day Club we are hosting, neighborhood walks, fishing, and so on.

Summer Devotions
By the grace of God my daily devotional time is such an ingrained habit that I didn't even need to make plans to be sure I stayed faithful over the summer (after the conclusion of BSF). I'm carrying on with daily reading following the Victory Bible Reading Plan. Actually, since January I haven't used the VBRP each day, but spent several months focusing on Paul's letters as well as the second semester of BSF's Life of Moses in my daily readings. Without BSF, however, I switched back to the reading plan's schedule.

Yesterday in my final 3rd grade Sunday School lesson for the year, I taught the kids about Eric Liddell. As I read about Liddell in preparation, I came across his daily devotional questions:
1. Have I surrendered this new day to God, and will I seek and obey the guidance of the Holy Spirit throughout its hours?
2. What have I specially to thank God for this morning?
3. Is there any sin in my life for which I should seek Christ’s forgiveness and cleansing? Is there any apology or restitution to make?
4. For whom does God want me to pray this morning?
5. What bearing does this morning’s Bible passage have on my life, and what does He want me to do about it?
6. What does God want me to do today and how does He want me to do it?
(Found at urbana.org)
I gave each student a copy of these questions to tuck in their Bibles and challenged them to begin reading their Bibles each day and use Eric Liddell's questions to help them worship God. Since my own daughters are in the class, I reminded them this morning of the challenge I gave Sunday. They eagerly ran off for their Bibles and journals and began reading. Sydney is reading Ephesians and Hope chose Job. I sat on the front porch, as I often do on summer mornings, reading my Bible and the girls sat on the step nearby reading theirs. It was so exciting to see Sydney journalling her prayers. Hope chose to bow her head in prayer and later came to me to apologize for something (see #3, above). Praise God from whom all blessings flow!!

6 comments:

Laura said...

Precious girls you have! And I love the list, too.

Your summer is off to a great start.
Laura

Twyska said...

Thank you so much for teaching Joanna's SS class this past year. She has really enjoyed having you and April as her teachers. I can tell she has been encouraged to read her Bible every day. We're also planning to watch Chariots of Fire soon. She enjoyed last Sunday!

Mrs. Edwards said...

T~
It was a privilege to teach Joanna! We are so grateful for Joanna's friendship with our daughters. Speaking of that, we need to talk about getting them together soon to play.

Did Joanna tell you about the clips from Chariots of Fire that we watched, intermingled with other still pictures illustrating the story of Eric Liddell's life? What fun it is to teach kids "the rest of the story" about Eric's service to God in China after the Olympics. I'm going to miss the class, that is for sure!

Eric and Pam said...

cool deal lucille. ;)

my mom is printing these questions out for me too.

love,
lucy

p.s hi hope and sydney!

Sharon said...

I remember you went to "the lake" last summer as well. What is it like in Spring???

~ Sharon

Mrs. Edwards said...

Sharon,
It depends. This past April it was too rainy and chilly and we didn't de-winterize the boat until the end of May. However, in other years we've been out in April. We'll have to see!!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...