Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fun at the Lake

We spent Independence Day Eve (July 3rd, that is) at a nearby lake with family and friends. Temperatures soared to 99 degrees, but we still had a marvelous time. My parents, my aunt and uncle, my sister and her kids (my brother-in-law is currently deployed to Afghanistan), and the six of us all played together at the lake, on the boat, on the shore, and at the picnic area for hours and hours. All the family headed back into town for my nephew's t-ball tournament game, but the six of us stayed and were then joined by our friends (and conveniently, neighbors) the B. family. Unfortunately I forgot to pull my camera out for lunch pictures, which is a real bummer because we had a wonderful lunch with family. As Mr. Edwards kindly said to me, "It gets a little hectic when we're eating." (Understatement of the year, right moms?) Most of the pictures you see here are from the evening meal with the B. family and the evening swim the kids took at the swimming beach. The clouds drifted in and the water looks gloomy, but it was still plenty warm.

The kids' cousin, Haley

Hope and Sydney (pink and blue suits) play in the sand with their cousins. They were imagining that they were kings and queens (and servants!) sitting on royal thrones!

Sydney and Hope cozy up on the beach in the evening with their friend Evangelyn.

Toby finishes up a roasted marshmallow and examines his sticky fingers (above).

We all made some life-long memories yesterday. I'm sure my dad wishes he could forget hitting the boat prop on a submersed log, however! Fortunately, the damage seems minimal! The cousins played for hours around the creek that ran by the picnic site, not to mention the time swimming and playing in the sand. After cousins and family left, our kids splashed around in the water by the anchored boat (beached on shore) as Mr. Edwards and I relaxed in the shade of the boat cover. Mr. B. and Mr. Edwards struggled to keep a fire going without much charcoal to cook the dinner, but they managed to get it done! Another evening memory: the B.'s son Matthew bravely asked to join in on a soccer game that was going on down the beach from us. We kept our cameras tucked away so as not to embarrass him, but we were proud of his courage. He ended up playing a few minutes with a group of twentysomething internationals who meet every year at the lake to hang out and play soccer. How fitting, since Matthew is a Liberian-American (and just ten years old)!

Sorry about this diary-dump blog post. Thanks for indulging me as I record our memories for posterity!

Lane, Sydney, Evangelyn, and Hope ride in the bow of Grandpa's boat.

Lane buries Jotham.

Matthew and Toby

Mr. B. and Mr. Edwards and Toby keep close watch on the struggling fire. Next time we'll make sure to bring enough charcoal! (Sharon, this picture of the fire ring is just for you.)

2 comments:

Sharon said...

How can a fire ring not be made of stones? That one seems really odd to me! It'll work to cook damper over/in though.

I have to say, every time I see pictures of you and your family at the lake, my first reaction is, "isn't that a beach? Oh no, there's the shore, way over there, that thin line in the distance." I don't think I have ever been to a lake this big, even with my limited experience of lakes.

The only think even remotely close in size that I have visited here in Australia is Lake Eyre, an inland salt lake which very rarely has any water in it anyway. Somehow, despite that, I managed to almost drown in it as a toddler, when it was flooded and on a family holiday, I fell over and became stuck in the salty, muddy muck of the bottom. It makes a humorous tale, because most of the pictures I have seen look like the one of Lake Hart, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Eyre_Basin. "You nearly drowned in Lake Eyre? How on earth did you manage to do that?" is the usual response.

Another reason why I marvel at "Amy's Lake".

~ Sharon

Mrs. Edwards said...

Lake Eyre: "The southern hemisphere's largest source of airborne dust" (according to Wikipedia). Lovely.

The lake we go to is actually a man-made reservoir. Near the dam the water is 35-40 feet deep and the beaches that exist along some of the shore line are all man made. (There are sand pits around Kansas that are made into lakes, but for this one the sand is hauled in I believe.) All Kansas lakes are man-made from dammed up streams or rivers, which is why they are all so muddy. Far prettier lakes can be found in other places (up north, in Minnesota, for instance, or even the manmade lakes in Missouri or Arkansas are clearer).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...