Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Hidden Meanings

Lately I seem to see fingerprints of Christ in everything (see my "Slumdog Millionaire" post by way of example). I have the sensation that everything around me in human experience is crying out the truths of God and yet few notice. Given that, I found C. S. Lewis's comments about finding second meanings in literature causing me to laugh at myself. As an amateur in literary analysis, it gives me pause:
Because, as we know, almost anything can be read into any book if you are determined enough. This will be especially impressed on anyone who has written fantastic fiction. He will find reviewers, both favourable and hostile, reading into his stories all manner of allegorical meanings which he never intended. (Some of the allegories thus imposed on my own books have been so ingenious and interesting that I often wish I had thought of them myself.) Apparently it is impossible for the wit of man to devise a narrative in which the wit of some other man cannot, and with some plausibility, find a hidden sense.

In defense of my own tendency to see deep truths of Christ and signs of God's sovereignty oozing out of almost every news story, book or movie, and personal experience, I pray that it might be a sign that I am beginning to "bleed Bible" when pricked. (Remember this?)

The Lewis quote comes from his Reflections on the Psalms, "Second Meanings."

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Is this a veiled warning to me as I embark on ellucidating some of the Mormon allegorical interpretations possible for Twilight? (Hee hee.)

Actually, I would see it not so much that you are beginning to "bleed Bible", but that you are learning to see the Sovereign hand of God in all things, not just when you expect or want to see it. Which is also a good thing!

It seems to me that your Summer reading is definitely bringing you closer to the heart of God. It is great to witness (albeit from afar), especially when I reflect how you were struggling with wanting more from your Bible reading six months ago.

It is wonderful to really be able to really notice the difference when God is sanctifying us. Thank You for your work in Amy's life, LORD!

~ Sharon

Mrs. Edwards said...

Sharon,
Thanks for your encouraging words. All glory to God for the changes He has made in me and may He continue to do so. I've been having wonderful and meaningful devotions this summer, but I often find myself in the crucible by mid-day, which was the case yesterday and Friday! It is easy to feel very defeated when under trial...

I could have written in this post (but didn't because I'm really working hard on being concise-ha!) that I opened up Lewis's Reflections on the Psalms because I'm reading through the Psalms right now, as I do each year once or twice, and I am really loving them. I have never read Reflections before because the Psalms have never quite excited me as much as they are this summer. So, I confess to thinking that the title Reflections on the Psalms always sounded boring before.

I really did find it funny to begin reading and stumble upon the paragraph I quoted above. The combination of your Twilight posts, that "overspiritualize everything" comic, my Slumdog post, and countless other things running through my brain which, fortunately for you don't make it in the blog, made that comment from Lewis especially relevant and funny.

Of course, he goes on to say that the Psalms are rich with hidden meanings...

trisha too said...

I'm this way with songs more so than literature--so very many secular songs become Christian in my ears!!

one of my favorite "Christian" songs is Stand by REM.

Mrs. Edwards said...

Hello Trisha!
Thanks for stopping by the blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...