Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Friday, July 24, 2009

More Spiritual Secrets from a Missionary


Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret is having a profound impact upon me. There is no way to replicate the impact with snippets of the book, but let me try to whet your appetite for more.

As I read this portion of a letter Taylor wrote to his mother, quoted at the end of the chapter entitled Days of Darkness, I was stunned. The sentiment was so close to what I had just poured out to God into my prayer journal. Here are his words:
I cannot tell you how I am buffetted sometimes by temptation. I never knew how bad a heart I have. Yet I do know that I love God and love His work, and desire to serve Him only in all things. And I value above all else that precious Saviour in whom alone I can be accepted. Often I am tempted to think that one so full of sin cannot be a child of God at all. But I try to throw it back, and rejoice all the more in the preciousness of Jesus and in the riches of the grace that has made us "accepted in the beloved."...Pray that the Lord will keep me from sin, will sanctify me wholly, will use me more largely in His service. (p. 153)
But then, after reading a book called Christ is All, Taylor discovered "the exchanged life."
To let my loving Saviour work in me His will, my sanctification, is what I would live for my His grace. Abiding, not striving nor struggling; looking off unto Him; trusting Him for present power; ...resting in the love of an almighty Saviour, in the joy of a complete salvation, "from all sin"--this is not new, and yet 'tis new to me....Christ literally all seems to me, now, the power, the only power for service, the only ground for unchanging joy... (p. 156)
And in a letter to his sister he wrote:
As I thought of the Vine and the branches, what light the blessed Spirit poured direct into my soul! How great seemed my mistake in wishing to get the sap, the fulness out of Him! I saw not only that Jesus will never leave me, but that I am a member of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. The vine is not the root merely, but all--root, stem, branches, twigs, leaves, flowers, fruit. And Jesus is not that alone--He is soil and sunshine, air and showers, and ten thousand times more than we have ever dreamed, wished for, or needed. Oh, the joy of seeing this truth! (p. 161-162)

Then, in 1889, he wrote this about the Great Commission:
How are we going to treat the Lord Jesus Christ [he wrote under deep conviction] with regard to this last command? Shall we definitely drop the title "Lord" as applied to Him? Shall we take the ground that we are quite willing to recognize Him as our Saviour, as far as the penalty of sin is concerned, but are not prepared to own ourselves "bought with a price," or Christ as having claim to our unquestioning obedience?. . .
How few of the Lord's people have practically recognized the truth that Christ is either Lord of all or He is not Lord at all! If we can judge God's Word, instead of being judged by it, if we can give God as much or as little as we like, then we are lords and He the indebted one, to be grateful for our dole and obliged by our compliance with His wishes. If on the other hand He is Lord, let us treat Him as such. "Why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?" (p. 228-229)
Image from Wikipedia

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...