Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

It's Getting Really Difficult, Part II

(This post is a follow-up to this one; you may want to read it first.)

I still think it is getting really difficult to wisely guide my twin daughters, but you might be interested in knowing that when Mr. Edwards and I talked it over, he thought I was over-reacting. My "the next ten years are going to be really hard" comment prompted him to say, "No it won't. Once they're driving they'll just do their own thing, go where they want and have their own friends."

I looked at him, amazed.

As for my explanation that they are beginning to be increasingly jealous of one another and of relationships ("For the first time they are each beginning to want their friends to love only them and not their sister as much."), Mr. Edwards looked at me, mystified. "This isn't a twin thing," he told me, "this is a friendship problem."

"But," I protested, "I had enough trouble as a girl getting along with my sister, at least she wasn't taking my friends!"

Mr. Edwards just smiled at me.

"Okay," I told him, "I'll trust you that I'm over-reacting about this but you need to trust me that it really is a hard thing for them." He smiled.

"One thing is sure!" I finished up because he was on the way out the door to work, "You've never been a little girl!"

The corners of his mouth curled up. "You've got that right! I've always been kinda proud of that!"

And he was off.

There is something just so perfect about the combined parenting of man and wife, father and mother, isn't there?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...