Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Lines of Literature: Persuasion


After watching the BBC movie Persuasion last weekend (thanks, April!), I'm reading Jane Austen's novel on which it is based. This is a novel that I've had around for years and picked up repeatedly, especially after a re-reading of Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility, when I craved more Austen. It no doubt reflects poorly on me that I could never stick with Persuasion. However, after watching the movie adaptation (the YouTube clip above was made by a fan and nicely summarizes the film) I took on the book once again.

I'm just starting (reading during recess time doesn't get you very far) but already have some fun quotes to share:

About Anne's upcoming visit to another town:
"...she believed she must now submit to feel that another lesson, in the art of knowing our own nothingness beyond our own circle, was become necessary for her;"

About Anne's brother-in-law, Charles Musgrove, a man married to Anne's younger sister Mary:
"Charles Musgrove was civil and agreeable; in sense and temper he was undoubtedly superior to his wife; but not of powers, or conversation, or grace, to make the past, as they were connected together, at all a dangerous contemplation; though, at the same time, Anne could believe, with Lady Russell, that a more equal match might have greatly improved him; and that a woman of real understanding might have given more consequence to his character, and more usefulness, rationality, and elegance to his habits and pursuits."
This made me wonder: am I the sort of wife that is "a woman of real understanding," the sort of woman that brings more consequence to my husband's character? I pray so.

Anne tried to encourage Mary to stay home with her son, rather than go out, after his collar-bone injury, but Mary selfishly dismissed the idea:
[Anne said,] "Nursing does not belong to a man, it is not his province. A sick child is always the mother's property, her own feelings generally make it so."
"I hope I am as fond of my child as any mother--but I do not know what I am of any more use in the sick-room than Charles..."
"But, could you be comfortable yourself, to be spending the whole evening away from the poor boy?"
"Yes; you see his papa can, and why should not I?"
Mary seems pathetic, but how many times have I been glad for Mr. Edwards to stay home with a sick one? Too many to count, I'm afraid!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...