Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

A New Start

With the start of our 2009-2010 school year, Mr. Edwards and I are making some changes to our routine. We're only four days in, but we're hoping to get our habits in place before we add more to our schedule, such as BSF and AWANA (three nights a week).

Physical Training
Physical training is of some value, Paul says, but the fact is that I live my life not valuing it at all. For a while now I've wished I was exercising, but couldn't figure out how to get it done in my routine. Like anything that we finally commit to doing, I've been thinking about it for a long time. I've also been inspired by others such as Susie, Tina, Amy R., Michelle L., Diana, and even Hillary, my neighbor who I see running on a regular basis. I've never been much of an athlete, but what encouraged me most of all was hearing Tina's and Michelle's stories and realizing that it isn't about having intrinsic athletic skills (although they might, I don't know). It is about training.

I found this training program for beginning runners and have started following it.

Mr. Edwards is also back to walking and running, but he chooses the treadmill in the evening.

Spiritual Training
A big reason I have never exercised regularly is boredom. The treadmill is unbearable to me for this reason (Mr. Edwards watches a movie, but that doesn't always distract me enough!). However, I'm listening to podcasts as I walk and run through our neighborhood and the thirty minutes seem to fly by. A Sunday sermon by John Piper or Mark Driscoll is about 50 minutes; hopefully I'll work my way up to running for a full sermon.

Meanwhile, Mr. Edwards is also listening to the Wayne Grudem Systematic Theology podcasts I mentioned in an earlier post. He listens in the car to and from work and now our dinner conversation is dominated by doctrinal discussions, with a little bit of the day's politics thrown in.

Daddy-Daughter Nights
We booked up our iCal calendar for the school year with most of our recurring commitments--BSF and AWANA, for example--and at the same time booked up Thursdays for "Daddy-Daughter Night." Mr. Edwards is spending each Thursday with one of our daughters, switching off each week. Last week he baked cookies with Sydney. Tonight he'll be baking a cake with Hope. It might be that they go out for dessert, or maybe just a board game at the dining room table, but it will be one-on-one daddy-daughter time.

I'm praying that we can follow through on these changes to our routine and stick with them, even as our school year gets busier. What shifts are you making this fall?

(Edited 8/15/09)

3 comments:

learningatourhouse said...

Gosh, I am with you on the difficulty of the physical activity. I keep saying I am going to start working on that, but I never seem able to fit it in. Gettin up earlier is not a priority for me right now (still having sleepless baby nights...) I guess maybe down the road :-)

I love the father/daughter nights! We do not have any daughters, but I think it would be great to let my boys each have turns with us alone each week.

Thanks for the ideas!

Amy

Mrs. Edwards said...

Amy,
It wasn't too long ago I was in your shoes, getting up every night to nurse our youngest. He didn't sleep all night for a year! It was when he was eight months old that I started rising at 6 a.m. to have devotions, in spite of the fact that I was up once each night with Toby. God really convicted me, through my Bible Study Fellowship study, that I needed to make my time with Jesus a priority. Sleep is important, too, of course, but I made an effort to get to bed a bit earlier in order to manage.

As for exercising, it is of some value, but I would always encourage getting spiritual disciplines in order before even physical ones. You've got plenty of time to get an exercise plan in place!

Susie said...

Good for you, Amy! I'm so glad that you've found a way to fit in your runs. It's a hard squeeze sometimes but one that I find very necessary. Often when I'm doing roadwork I'll sing a hymn (in my mind - not enough breath to do it out loud) or ponder a verse I've read before I left. I find the distraction factor is key - keeps me from thinking about how hard running is sometimes - and helps me center my thoughts and spirit on Jesus for the day.

I love the daddy/daughter appointments. What a great plan!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...