Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Friday, September 18, 2009

Testing

In my first prenatal doctor's visit, I heard about the newest prenatal testing. There are some new protocols since even my last pregnancy. I explained to my doctor that my husband and I do not wish to have an amniocentesis test done, and since all the other testing is actually just "screening," that leads to an amnio, there really wasn't any reason to do the screens. (The screening is available in the first trimester now, which is very convenient if you intend to abort your imperfect baby.)

"We're going to name it, claim it, and love it." I told my doctor (borrowing a phrase I heard in a Mark Driscoll sermon). She nodded and said that was good.

I've had a scare pregnancy and listened to statistics and been forced to decide before about an amnio. We chose not to do it, for the amnio procedure is itself risky. And our son is healthy as a horse.

What an interesting increase in health care costs this all is!

All of this just to give you the link to the latest from Albert Mohler, about the 92% termination rate in Down Syndrome babies.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Not curious to have any early scans just to count heartbeats???

I avoided testing as much as I could with my pregnancies. I even wrote a letter of complaint to the hospital about being blackmailed into having a scan with Abigail's pregnancy. It hugely frustrated me that while I was there for an ultrasound to check only the site of the placenta, and only because it was being insisted upon by the hospital authorities, the sonographer persisted in taking other measurements "while we've got you here" despite my protests that they were unwanted and unnecessary. If Jeff had been there with me I think I would have lurched up off the bed and walked out, covered in ultrasound gel and all. Just thinking about it makes me angry. Sorry. I guess I need to work on cultivating forgivenness, huh?

So what are you going to "name it"? Joshua was "Brutus". I was holding out for "Apostrophe", because it has a surprisingly neat rhythm when you say it with our last name, but Jeff stuck to his guns. I was afraid we'd end up with the nickname sticking and we'd have a little blonde girl in ringlet pigtails, wearing pink everywhere but responding to the name Brutus. Anna was "Baby X"; the pregnancy was very different to Joshua's and she seemed like such an unknown. Abigail was "Sib", short for sibling. I'm not sure Sam got called anything more interesting than "Number Four" though.

So what are you calling this little source of Joy so far? Umm... was that too obvious? Can you tell what I am calling your baby in my prayers?

~ Sharon

Mrs. Edwards said...

Sharon,
At my next appointment I'll be about eleven weeks. My doctor said that if my nausea is still persisting and I'm still feeling bad she'll check me with a sonogram machine to "count sacs." It won't be an official "diagnostic sono" but she has an older machine she can use without scheduling a full appointment for the ultrasound. I'll keep you posted!

I had a lot of sonograms (ultrasounds, whatever) when I was pregnant with the girls. With twins they are more concerned about growth and so on. I loved it, but also didn't really know much about anything back then! (Can you tell I'm starting to feel like a real veteran at this?)

I don't really mind them measuring and so on in ultrasounds, and I know with this one they will do that again in the second trimester (which is the scan that gave me a scare with Lane), but in this post I'm referring to some other tests. In the first trimester they take blood and compare it with an ultrasound neck measurement and tabulate the results against statistical "risk factors," including age, weight, ethnicity, etc.

We are so far just saying "the baby." About the same week that we told the kids we are having a baby the girls were learning their numbers in Latin, so I have called it "quinque," but it isn't really a family nickname.

I like "Joy" a lot and may just have to adopt the name from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...