Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Eleven-Eleven

Before it was Veteran's Day, it was Armistice Day. On November 11, 1918 the Great War came to an end with the signing of the Armistice. At the time, my great-uncle Hayes was serving in France. He had fought in the Argonne-Meuse offensive that September and was pulled back from the line and billeted in Vignot, across the Meuse River from Commercy.

The good news of the Armistice was completely overshadowed by some bad news from home, news that Hayes received by letter just three days after the Armistice but nearly a month after it actually happened. As Hayes was fighting in the Argonne, his father back in the States unexpectedly and suddenly died. Hayes heard the news first from a sympathy letter he received from a friend. On November 25, he wrote to his sister,
"When the terrible news first came I was coming in from drill, feeling so happy and light hearted because the Armistice had been signed, then a letter was handed me from Ruth L. [a friend]; when I felt it was so thin I was afraid to open the envelope. I felt sure it was bad news of some kind but I had no idea it would be such terrible news. Hazel, if it had happened a year ago I don't think I could have stood it, but I have seen so much, so awfully much suffering since I have been here I think it made it easier for me....
It is so hard to realize that Papa is really gone, and I had so many things I wanted to tell him...
I came over here several months ago to do a "little job." Now that job is finished but I have a bigger one ahead of me and I want to be the one to do it. It wont be long until I will be back, and how I long to see you all and be with all of you..."
Hayes remained in Europe until the spring and was finally demobilized in May, 1919, upon which he returned home to help provide for his mother and sisters.

***

This Veteran's Day our brother-in-law is serving in Afghanistan. We pray for him daily and are thankful for his service to our nation.

1 comment:

learningatourhouse.wordpress.com said...

How wonderful that you have such a great piece of family history to keep and pass down through your family!

Amy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...