Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Descriptive Writing

"The suburb of Saffron Park lay on the sunset side of London, as red and ragged as a cloud of sunset."

So begins G. K. Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday. This book, first published in 1908, is one of Chesterton's fiction mysteries and my first encounter with Chesterton's fiction. You may remember my attempt to blog about Chesterton's Orthodoxy, an effort that began with a bang and ended with...no real explanation! I think I made it half-way through. Orthodoxy is a book that you should read, that is certain.

I love the opening sentence and want to keep it in mind when teaching descriptive writing. ("Sunset side" is so much more interesting than simply saying "west.")

2 comments:

Sharon said...

How interesting. I have just borrowed a book of short mysteries (inspired by your mention of Dorothy Sayers) from my library. There is a mystery by Chesterton in that, as well as one by Agatha Christie (which I have already read, but forgotten the end, so am re-reading,) and one by Sayers.

So much easier to read mystery than theology. Aah. *Brain relaxes.*

~ Sharon

Mrs. Edwards said...

Yes, I've been enjoying some of these fiction books for their relaxation value. However, it turns out that The Man Who Was Thursday was far more complex than I imagined. I expected something akin to Dorothy Sayers but instead found a book full of philosophic meaning and allegory. It reminded me of Lewis's space trilogy, particularly That Hideous Strength. It is a brief book, however, and I read it for face value and didn't attempt to uncover all the deep meanings that I know were there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...