Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Morning Mercies

I stumbled into my closet this morning and scowled. The weather forecast for the day was bitter and my attitude was nearly as cold. "I miss my clothes!" I grumbled, maybe even out loud.

My maternity clothes hung there, looking nice but not very warm. My warm sweatshirts and sweaters were folded neatly in the drawer, now too small for me. Even my bulky college sweatshirt clings in an unsightly way.

I glanced over to my husband's side of the closet. His sweatshirts were in the laundry waiting to be washed. Wallowing in self-pity about the weather and my belly that looks like it is seven months pregnant when it really is just five months pregnant, I put on some mismatched layers. "At least I don't have anywhere to go today." I gathered up the laundry and started a load before sitting down for my morning devotions.

After a look at the Bible reading plan, I turned to Matthew 6.
"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?"

My own bad attitude stung. To think of my grousing about clothing as I stood in a closet full of clothes that I just didn't like all that well.

With the words of Psalm 6, I began to pray,
"O LORD, rebuke me not in your anger...Be gracious to me..."


God lifted me from my pettiness and filled me with JOY, melting my cold heart with the fire of repentance and forgiveness. Thank you, Jesus. Thank you for new mercies, for daily bread, for living water, and grace.

3 comments:

Laura at By the Bushel said...

It's easy to lose perspective,... I'm having one of 'those' days, and I'm embarassed about my perspecitve(no matter what my blog seems to reflect today) Thanks for sharing.

momma24 said...

btw, You don't look seven months pg. you look beautiful and I could hardly even see your 'bump'. Take heart, you are beautiful. :)

Mrs. Edwards said...

Renita~ You're so kind! My winter coat was holding it all in when I saw you yesterday!
Thanks for the encouragement; it actually does help!
Amy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...