Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Now That He's Four...

Toby broke the 8th commandment today at the grocery. As we walked away from the checkout I noticed him holding his coat tightly shut and trailing along behind us. "What's going on?" I asked. He hugged his coat tighter. Prying open his arms I found him hiding two multi-packs of gum inside.

I tried to have him apologize to the clerk and hand over the gum, but he was too humiliated and crying too hard to say anything. I had to carry him over to the clerk and thrust his hand (gripping the gum) over to the clerk. He screamed and twisted, not wanting to face her. We caused a big scene. After returning the gum we walked over to the side for a little talk about stealing, then walked out. Toby was completely mortified, hanging his head, crying as we went out to the car.

A very nice gentleman smiled at me near the door and said, "You handled that very well." His words were so encouraging at that moment!

4 comments:

Laura at By the Bushel said...

The most effective thing... nothing like it. accountability.
GOOD JOB!!! That was tough. I always cry when my oldes son gets hysterical, & I'm not much better than he is when it comes to something like that.
Great job, so glad that gentleman noticed and encouraged you right on the spot!

Sharon said...

So nice to have a comment from a bystander to encourage you as I am sure you were feeling very frustrated. Sometimes those little words of encouragement can make all the difference in my patience when dealing with a stressful kid-related situation. Even if only reminding me that there are eyes and ears around me observing what I do and I should be mindful that my actions and words bring glory to God, not shame.

Well done for noticing and dealing with it well despite Toby's tantrum.

~ Sharon

MagistraCarminum said...

Amy- you DID handle it well! A little humiliation is good for our little liars and theives, which all of our children are in this fallen world...and we were before them (remember Paul saying, "Such wee you all...") Toby has just chosen a public way to display his sin, and you had the privilege and opportunity to correct him. Well done!

Mrs. Edwards said...

I was reflecting this afternoon that if this had happened earlier in my "motherhood" career, I probably would have lost my composure and either been angry or else too embarrassed to deal with it (other than put the gum on the counter and leave). In that sense, it was an important milestone for Toby and me!

"A little humiliation is good for our little liars and thieves..." So true, Chris! May this experience be one for Toby that prepares his heart for true repentance and acceptance of the Gospel!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...