Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Weekend Reading Tips

Atheist Christopher Hitchens spent plenty of time with Pastor Douglas Wilson in the filming of their movie Collision, which documented a series of debates the two men held at several universities. Their debates examined the question, "Is Christianity good for the world?" It seems that Mr. Hitchens, who remains an atheist, understands very well, perhaps from debating Wilson, the claims of Jesus and the implications of those claims that cannot be ignored. That is, Christ must be either dismissed as a fraud or worshipped as God, but one cannot accept middle ground with intellectual integrity.

Interviewed recently by Marilyn Sewell, a self-described "liberal Christian," Hitchens explained quite clearly the crux of the matter:
[Sewell] The religion you cite in your book is generally the fundamentalist faith of various kinds. I’m a liberal Christian, and I don’t take the stories from the scripture literally. I don’t believe in the doctrine of atonement (that Jesus died for our sins, for example). Do you make any distinction between fundamentalist faith and liberal religion?

[Hitchens] I would say that if you don’t believe that Jesus of Nazareth was the Christ and Messiah, and that he rose again from the dead and by his sacrifice our sins are forgiven, you’re really not in any meaningful sense a Christian.

[Sewell] Let me go someplace else. . . [She goes on to discuss the theology of Paul Tillich and ask for Hitchens's reaction, which he gives and then concludes with--]

[Hitchens] If all Christians were like you I wouldn’t have to write the book.

[Sewell] Well, probably not, because I agree with almost everything that you say. But I still consider myself a Christian and a person of faith.

[Hitchens] Do you mind if I ask you a question? Faith in what? Faith in the resurrection?

The full interview is found in the Portland Monthly Magazine. It is worth reading in its entirety.
***

How well do you know your theology? Albert Mohler is discouraged about evangelicals' grasp of the basic truths of Christianity (it seems Hitchens may have a better understanding of the Bible's teaching than many believers). Be sure to read Mohler's latest post about the popularity of The Shack, a novel fraught with bad theology, and what this tells us about evangelical discernment.

***

Have you already seen this article from The Weekly Standard? "Mugged by Ultrasound" shows how many abortion workers have turned pro-life.

3 comments:

Laura at By the Bushel said...

Mrs. E,
I'm never disappointed by your post, or your comments when you visit me at my blog. :)
You write so well, about interesting & challenging subjects.
I will confess I often hesitate in writing comments because I can't affort/ take the time to edit as I wish. (lol) But henceforth(nice word huh...)- I'll just try to minimize blabber, misspelled words, poor punctuation, etc. You'll know how much I appreciate and benefit from reading your blog posts, because you'll see my comments and know I'm short on time and brain power, saving it for super fun activities like that revolutionary war re-enactment.
Very, very cool.
This post is wonderful by the way. Very inpsiring & convicting. Just what the dr. ordered.
Enjoying a rainy day here, trying to patiently deal with a couple of under the weather kids- enjoyed this post so much. Best, and thanks-

Mrs. Edwards said...

Laura,
You're too self-deprecating! I appreciate your comments so much and it is so nice to hear from you on a regular basis.

I don't write particularly well, but I write as an expression of whatever is bubbling up in my brain. :) I thought these articles were so on-the-mark I had to share them. It is great to know that you enjoy them too!

Never hesitate to comment; I love to hear from you.
Amy

Sharon said...

I find it curious that an atheist might actually be acting to spread the gospel to people who think of themselves as Christians but really aren't. This is the first time I think I have understood what Paul meant when he wrote Philippians 1:15-18.

15It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

What do you think?

~ Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...