Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Getting Going

I hear stories of homeschooled kids who rise in the morning and, eager to complete their studies and have a free afternoon, buckle down and diligently work several hours until they are finished.

This doesn't happen here.

One of the biggest struggles we face in Edwards Academy is being motivated. My kids would rather be reading for fun (Hope and Sydney are pictured, last August, absorbed in fun books) or drawing elaborate pictures or building complex Lego ships than doing their school work. This is especially true about the difficult subjects (for our household) of math and Latin as well as the dull but necessary work of spelling and writing.


I'm not sure there is a complete cure for a problem rooted so deeply in personality, ability, and human nature, but I found this article, "Inspiring Unmotivated Kids: What to Do and What Not to Do," from Jeff Myers very helpful, nevertheless. (Thanks for the tip, Natalie.)

(I should add that I'm very aware that I suffer the exact same motivation problems when it comes to my own list of domestic drudgeries!)

4 comments:

Amy said...

My eldest daughter - now 14 - is very well motivated and fits the description in your first sentence.

My two younger girls do not seem to be developing this habit. My youngest especially is resistant. I am hoping time and patience and the good example of her big sister will help me out here. But, I am off now to read the article you linked to......fresh ideas never go astray!

Sharon said...

OT: You have a dog??!? Is s/he friendly or jumpy?
~ S, frightened of dogs since childhood

Mrs. Edwards said...

Amy, isn't it interesting how different our kids can be from each other? I do have one daughter who does pretty well at being intrinsically motivated, but her sister really struggles.

Sharon,
This threw me for a loop because I couldn't think what about this post made you think of our dog! But then I realized that Jesse's tail end is in the picture. Well, never fear, we have the sweetest dog you can imagine. We adopted her last year from another family. She's already seven years old, has a very mild temperament and saves her fast moves for chasing cats. She's a Viszla (a pointer).

Sydney is very frightened of dogs and before we had Jesse she was literally paralyzed with fear when we visited people with dogs. In fact, she went to a birthday pool party once and the birthday girl's family has a Great Dane dog. Sydney went inside to use the restroom, but when she was ready to return to the party, the dog was outside the door of the bathroom. Sydney was too scared to leave and stayed there until the rest of the kids finally noticed she was missing when gifts were opened! The mother felt terrible.

Jesse has done wonders to help Sydney with her fears of the dark and dogs. She's a great companion. In fact, Jesse is pretty fearful herself. She shivers with fright during thunderstorms and loud noises scare her. She loves to stand by me when I'm sitting and put her head on my knee. She'll stand like that for fifteen minutes or more.

But, we'll keep her out of your way if it isn't comfortable for you!

Sharon said...

Phew! :-)
~ Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...