Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

What to do with the jackets?

Do you...

  1. keep dust jackets on your hardcover books?
  2. remove them and throw them away?
  3. remove them and save them somewhere?

My habit is option 3, but I'm looking at a growing stash of beautiful dust jackets and wondering where this will end. I'm not talking about the dust jacket of the latest fiction bestseller. I'm speaking of dust jackets from hardcover children's picture books that are a real treasure to have.

3 comments:

Laura at By the Bushel said...

children's I would love to frame/ mat/ hang... some are so sweet/beautiful/
I have been known to judge a book by it's cover...
speaking of, have you any knowledge of 'the children of Green Knowe'? http://bythebushel.blogspot.com/2010/02/children-of-green-knowe-simple-living.html

argsmommy said...

I'm a #3. I have a box full of children's books jackets that I always planned to frame. Maybe for my grandchildren... Glad I'm not alone. : )

Sharon said...

I have never thought of taking them off and keeping them, then framing them later. That sounds like a fantastic idea! It would be a great way to cheaply brighten up a child's bedroom with things that are familiar and beloved.

However, for picture books, I just leave them on. When they get ripped, I stick them up with "magic" tape. When they get too ripped for repair, they go in the bin and we love the books until *they* get too ripped for repair! If they are still readable at that point, they become "car books", which tend to fall apart rapidly after that but at least get a lot more reading and appreciating in before they are finally thrown out. I think the only covers that I have had to throw out so far are for Goodnight Moon and The Adventures of Thomas the Tank Engine (not the complete collection, that one came in a slipcase with no dust jacket). But that might say more about how many paperback children's books that we have than anything.

With our Milly Molly Mandy books, I take the covers off each time the girls ask to read them, then put them back when they are finished with the books and they go back in their slip case on the shelf. Since Sydney and Hope are older than my Joshua and Anna, you might not have a High Shelf Out Of Reach that requires Parent Permission to touch the books on. We still have that. Several, actually. Most of our dust jacket books are up there. But since they are quite large books (such as our Jungle Book and A.A. Milne collected works) it makes sense to not have them down in regular use. They would be too heavy to be cared for adequately by the littler kids if they had ready, unsupervised access to them, as they have with the picture books. I take the dust jackets off when we read those heavier books, then put them back on when I put them back on the High Shelf of Parent Permission.

~Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...