Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Monday, June 28, 2010

His Own Arm Brought Salvation

Why do I need Jesus? Isn't God powerful enough to hear me and save me? Yes, He is powerful enough but my sin is the problem.
Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save, or his ear dull, that it cannot hear;
but your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God,
and your sins have hidden his face from you so that he does not hear.

...The LORD saw it, and it displeased him that there was no justice.
He saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no one to intercede;
then his own arm brought him salvation, and his righteousness upheld him. . .

There was no man, but God sent Jesus to intercede for me! Thanks be to God! (Isaiah 59: 1-2, 15b-16 ESV)

***

I've been reading through Isaiah this summer, along with other passages in the M'Cheyne Bible Reading Plan. I've also been reading D. A. Carson's For the Love of God (Vol. 2), which is a devotional book designed to accompany daily Bible readings in the M'Cheyne plan. What a blessing this has been to my summer devotions!*

In September our family will start the new Bible Study Fellowship year, which will be studying Isaiah for the first time. If you aren't doing BSF, I highly recommend it! This year I'll be taking Toby and Lydia to the preschool program (BSF now welcomes babies) and Mr. Edwards will take the others to the school program. All seven of us will be in BSF studying Isaiah!

*I bought the Kindle edition of Carson's book and read the daily devotion on my iPod using the free Kindle for iPod/iPhone app. For the Love of God (Vol. 1) is also designed to accompany the daily readings. Each daily reading contains four passages. Carson's first volume comments on the first two passages, the second volume comments on the last two passages.
Photograph of an open (ESV) Bible, open to Psalm 119, by Amy Edwards.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...