Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer Fun '10

Gusty Kansas winds have blown away several of our hoped-for lake outings this summer and we've been inside more than usual to keep little Lydia cool. Here are some recent pictures:





Lydia almost doesn't look real in this picture of Sydney holding her. Doesn't it look like Sydney has a doll?



How do you like my kitchen helper? Deputy Toby (note the badge) loves to play in the water.  Nice gloves, huh?



Toby loves the boonie hat that Mr. Edwards gave him. Red-headed and fair-skinned, he needed a sun hat that would cover his face and his neck.



Lane is developing a taste for strategy games. Do they even sell Stratego anymore? This game is one I've held onto from my own childhood. Lane is lining up anyone he can to play with him. 


While Mr. Edwards and Lane played Stratego, and I doggedly played Blokus with Toby (he kept knocking into the board which shifted the tiles around), Hope and Sydney played Mancala together. 



Did I mention that Lydia is smiling at us?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Such a sweet family! Looks like a great summer in Wichita. Much love to all!

Sharon said...

I played Stratego when I was a kid, and instantly recognised it from the new blog title pic. I used to hate it because my elder brother could always beat me, no matter what I did. But Jeff and I both like to play Blokus, we have the four opponents version. I have not seen Mancala before. Is it an Asian game? The name doesn't sound like it has an English origin. Sydney looks like she's having fun, anyway.

I hope your summer continues well, even if the heat is getting to poor Lydia. Two nights ago Perth had it's second coldest night on record - just under freezing (-0.6C/30.9F). There was frost all over the oval in the morning. I am NOT enjoying the cold, as there is no snow to make it seem worthwhile, like it was in the US.

xtxSharon

Mrs. Edwards said...

Sharon,
Our Blokus is also for four opponents, but we play two colors at once in order to play one-on-one (or sometimes just to make it easy for Toby we just play with one color each).

Mancala is an ancient African game. It is fun and easy.

I hope that Lane doesn't give up on strategy games! Mr. Edwards and my dad both beat him, and I beat him even when I didn't want to! So far he hasn't had a good win. Ditto for chess.

Temps dipping below freezing is a real drag, especially if you don't have the right clothing. Who wants to outfit a family in cold-weather gear when it only happens briefly? Such a pain. Last winter when it was super-cold here I remember seeing your summery pictures and being jealous! It is hard to fathom hot weather in the midst of cold.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...