Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Pursuit of God

"You have said, 'Seek my face.'
My heart says to you,
'Your face, LORD, do I seek.'
Turn not your servant away in anger,
O you who have been my help.
Cast me not off; forsake me not,
O God of my salvation!
For my father and my mother have forsaken me,
but the LORD will take me in.
Teach me your way, O LORD,
and lead me on a level path because of my enemies."

Psalm 27:8-11
"David does not envisage his relation with God as something static, but as his lifelong pursuit. Moreover, he understands that his pursuit simultaneously shapes him. If he seeks God's face as he ought (27:8), if he begs for mercy so that God will deal with him in compassion and not in wrath (27:9-10), then he will also earn God's ways and walk in a straight path (27:11). This cannot be said too strongly or too often: to claim that one is pursuing God without concomitant reformation of life and growing conformity to the ways of God is wicked and dangerous nonsense.
D. A. Carson,  For the Love of God: A Daily Companion for Discovering the Riches of God's Word, Vol. 2 (Kindle Edition)

1 comment:

Sharon said...

On Monday I was talking through the concept of faith with one of our church's young teens, and we talked about what James says about faith necessarily being shown in deeds, or it is no better than the "faith" that the demons have, who know that YWYH is the One True God - but all they do in response is shudder at the thought!

I've been thinking about how I show my faith in deeds lately as well. I'm working on some challenges that I have set myself (mostly they are the fruit of sermon subjects that have been gradually edifying me over the past few months).

(1) At least once a day, talk to someone about Jesus. Talking to my husband and kids doesn't count, and ideally, this should be talk to a non-Christian about Jesus. and
(2) Once a fortnight, extend hospitality to someone in our church family, whether that be asking them/their family around for dinner, or inviting them out for coffee, or joining them at the local playground for a combined play-date.

The first challenge isn't going too well, I admit. Yesterday, 2 JWs came to the door and I stood there, thinking, "I know I should be talking to you about Jesus but I just don't know how to being the conversation." Of course, two or three different ideas came to mind once they had moved on to the next house. Since I formally began this challenge by asking Jeff to keep me accountable and ask me each night "Who have you talked to about Jesus today?" on Sunday evening - after another pro-evangelism sermon! - I have been much more conscious about the people i meet and could choose to tell about Jesus, however hard I find it to start the conversation.

The second challenge arose out of a conversation I had with Chris. She was observing that the people in our congregation are very friendly, but not necessarily very open to new friendships and mentoring relationships and forming deeper personal connections. So I challenged her - and me - to open our homes once a fortnight to someone in our church. After all, there is no use in us observing a lack in our church if we are not willing to do something about it ourselves.

Long comment. Sorry! Just thought I'd let you know what "reformation of life" is happening in my life at the moment!

xtxSharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...