Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Real Christianity

"True virtue never appears so lovely, as when it is most oppressed: and the divine excellency of real Christianity is never exhibited with such advantage, as when under the greatest trials. Then it is that true faith appears much more precious than gold; and upon this account, is found to praise, honour, and glory."
-Jonathan Edwards, in Religious Affections

3 comments:

Meredith said...

That's a wonderful quote. Thanks. I have been thinking about this subject quite a bit this year. Thanks for sharing.

Did you manage to get a copy of the Lent readings?
Mx

Mrs. Edwards said...

Yes! I did get the Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross book and just read a chapter aloud to the family this evening. I'm eager to post about the CDG conference but waiting for them to put up audio and video so I can link to them.

About the trials. I am guessing the fires and their impact on your community was an opportunity to see this borne out. I imagine I'll quote Edwards's Religious Affections again; it is savory and complex food for thought.

Meredith said...

Glad you got the book! Enjoy it. I am loving it so far.

Providentially God had me thinking on this subject for quite a while before the weekend of the fires, which was an example of His amazing grace to prepare me. It was encouraging to find so much to thankful for in the midst of a terrible situation and to discover, as evidenced by what little I chose to take when we were evacuated and what was running through my head and heart at the time, that all that matters is that we know we are saved for eternal life with Him. I am thankful that God had prepared me well. And it has been good to share a little of that with others too.

Thanks again. It is great to fellowship with you.
Mx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...